A Short Chap: That time when Justin told Elise

That time when Justin told Elise

'time knows no mercy'
- k.tolnoe

~*~

"Elise." I tried to wake her up. She was sleeping on her bed. Her small figure tucked inside the sheets of her blanket. A small teddy bear was wrapped inside her arms — it was her favorite thing in the world, the one that kept her safe.

It took every ounce of what little strength I have left to go out of the house today. But I did not want Elise to hear the news first from the sisters or from anybody. It would only be right to know what happened from me.

"Elise, sweetheart. Wake up."

She stirred, her eyes fluttered open.

"Elise." I called again. As soon as she recognized my voice, she briskly scrambled from her fetal position and took a seat. "Careful." I reminded, combing her hair into place.

"Daddy Bunny?" Still in daze, she rubbed her left eye.

"Hi sweetie."

"Daddy Bunny! Good morning!" She squealed.

I smiled — the first in a while. "Good morning."

"You're here!"

When her arms flailed for a hug, I hoisted her from the bed and placed her on my lap.

"Are we going to your house?" She asked, her teddy bear hanging from her hand. "Can I bring Mr. Danger along? He's a nice bear. He's also well behaved. I promise!"

My vision rooted to her wide, childlike face. Her chubby cheeks puffed more from waking up. She had a little morning mist that I softly gotten rid off.

I didn't want to break the news at this time of the day... but it's been three days... and there's much things to do, to settle and to fix.

I don't know how can I protect her from hurting. I don't how to strike the news to her without it wrecking me.

How can someone do it? How do you tell someone a nightmare you can't even wake up from? Especially to a small, innocent kid?

How can I tell her...

"Is Mommy Andi here?" She asked that I stilled. My heart pounded vigorously, I felt I couldn't breathe. "Is she still talking to the sisters? I have to take a bath now and dress up so we can go."

... that Andi's gone?

"Elise?"

"Yes Daddy Bunny?"

"Andi," I started, trying my best not to quiver. "She's... she went... somewhere."

"Oh." Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "When is she coming back?"

My throat tightened that I felt my eyes sting. I couldn't help it. How fucking unfair this world is? Why do good people have to leave early?

"Daddy Bunny? Are you okay?"

Afraid I'd break down again, I pulled Elise into a hug. I needed someone else's presence... someone else's strength, because I couldn't even hold myself together. I honestly can't fucking do this.