Chapter Thirty Eight

38 – Let Me Be The One Part 1

'There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept; things we don't want to know but have to learn; and people we can't live without but have to let go.'
– Anon.

P.S – While reading, listen to the song :) that is all.

~*~

I always loved Sundays — it's the most serene and peaceful of all days for me. When my mom was still alive, we used to have this family gathering where we occasionally spend some quality time together. No phones. No work. No other things except from dad, mom and I. Its the day where the three of us strengthen our bond as a family. It was always fun, adventurous and freeing. But at times, its a conflict between happy memories and sad flashbacks.

I guess it's true that when a person is gone, the things that keep us from letting go are the memories that were left behind. It's the memories that can shape or break us down. Time heals. But the scars are the reminder of what was once used to be.

Sighing, I glanced outside the car window. I went off to church this morning, visited Elise and arranged a family meeting with dad, Pattie, Jeremy and Erin. My nights aren't always this eventful but tonight... tonight will be different. A small bitter smile escaped my lips. There aren't stars this evening but I do hope mom is out there giving me strength for I needed a whole lot of it right now.

Justin returned at three am in the morning but he was needed to record his interview for Ellen at seven am, so we never really had the chance to see each other the whole day. Our situation was... alright(?). We always liked to pretend we're okay — and we embodied it well. But as he busied himself with music, I was also occupied on my own.

There are things we needed to do together — and apart.

My thoughts drifted away when I felt my phone vibrated. Looking at the caller I.D., my heart stammered with anxiety. For a moment, I thought I couldn't breathe.

"Justin." I greeted.

"Andi." He paused. Suddenly, my throat constricted and I wanted to cry. "Where are you? Are you on your way at Dad's house now?"

I bit my bottom lip and cleared my throat. "Yeah. You?" I whispered.

"Few blocks away. I'll wait for you outside. We'll go there together."

"Yeah. Together."

Silence.

"Are you okay?"

The emotions I tried to hide raised in for notice. A tear spilled from my eye that I briskly wiped it away as if Justin would see it. "I'm fine." I took a deep sigh. "How's Ellen?"

"Ellen's great. It was nice seeing her again and the crowd was pretty welcoming too." Justin and I are two people who liked to hide behind our masks.

I smiled. "Really? That's amazing. Probably its because of your charms."

"Can't say I'm disagreeing with you on that one."

"Cocky are we now?" He chuckled. "By the way, are you driving?"

"Kenny's dropping me off."

"Say my hi for him please."

"Kenny. Andi says Hi." Justin stated as his voice became distant. I heard a faint, "I miss you Andi" from Kenny.