Chapter Thirteen

13 – It's Practical, He Said

~*~
'What was your biggest mistake?'

'my love was loud
his was silent
and i mistook that silence
for an absence of love'
-anon
~*~

"So that's it huh?" Jacques muttered out of nowhere as I descended my way outside the comfort room. My heartbeat took a pause, surprised by his presence.

I excused myself awhile ago to use the bathroom and do a little bit of retouch before the concert started. I, however, didn't expect Jacques to wait for me across the hall.

He was leaning on the concrete wall when his eyes strained towards me. His bruises from the fight that happened weeks ago have already healed by now. He told me that Pattie and Erin ambushed him that day and like what they did with Justin, they attended Jacques's bruises while pushing him to spill the truth.

Which he didn't.

He just added fuel to the fire saying Justin deserved it. Erin and Pattie were horrified.

"Do you always like to give people scares?" I demanded, almost glaring at him.

"You're staying?"

"I'm watching." I replied.

He exhaled deeply. Because of frustration? Maybe somewhere in between. His eyes sparked a little glint of sad and anger.

"When it comes to him, it's that easy huh?"

Pursing my lips, I took slight offense with his statement. Even if its somehow where the truth lies, how dare him say that. "I don't have time for this Jacques."

I started walking away but he followed suit. "Andi."

"What?" I said, staring at him... egging him to say what he's about to say. "What is it Jacques? Because yes, I'm going to see his concert. I'm going to stay because I wanted to see him perform... because he asked me to."

His light brown eyes softened.

"I'm stupid. I know. But is it too much to ask?" I continued.

"You know that's not what I mean."

"Then what is?"

"How..." his words strife from his mouth "... just how can you stay when he's..." he stopped, shaking his head as if he was tossing the words he wanted to say. "Your husband doesn't fight fair. Whenever you're arms reach, he'd do anything to take you a million miles back. It's annoying." He added; a jeer smile followed afterwards.

"Jacques. You know it's not him. It's me. The problem is me."

"Don't say that." He protested. His eyebrows furrowed deeply.

For a brief moment I closed my eyes. Just wanting a small second of little strength. As soon as I opened them, I gave Jacques a small smile. "It sucks when you like someone who doesn't reciprocate it back."

He almost scoff before he stared at me knowingly. "Tell me about it. The world's unfair like that."

"No one lives a perfect life after all."