Chapter Sixteen: Heartbeat

Niall's P.O.V.

"Lexy. Please don't do this."

"Niall. I have to. I don't belong here. I want to go."

"Lexy-"

"Don't start with me with Niall. Just help me."

I carried her suitcase to the car. I'm going to miss her.

Lexy's P.O.V.

We were in Niall's car, heading to the airport. I hated saying goodbye to them, especially to Niall, after all he's been there for me. He was always there for me for whatever I needed, ALWAYS. And now, I was leaving him, heartbroken, but I had to leave. I didn't belong. here Not without Harry.

"Niall, before I go, I need to ask you something."

"Yes," he said with hopeful eyes.

"Why are you doing this for me? Why are you doing everything for me?"

"Because I'm your friend, Lexy," He took one hand off the sterring wheel and held my hand.

"Yeah, well, so is Liam and Zayn, but they don't do anything. Why you?"

"Well-"

"Is there something more to this?"

"No."

"Then tell me."

"To be your friend was all I ever wanted..." He quoted to me.

Niall's P.O.V.

Then I whispered so low, hoping she couldn't hear me, "...but to be your lover is all I ever dreamed."

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Then tell me, Niall. Why? Whya are you doing everything for me?"

I looked down and answered, "Because I-"

"NIALL!!!!! WATCH OUT!!!!" She screamed. I looked up and saw a light coming towards us. Then everything went black.

...

I woke up in a strange room. There were bandages on my arms and legs. WHAT HAPPENED? And where's Lexy? Then my conscience hit me. Lexy! I tried to get up, but I fell of the bed. I stood up and rushed out of the room. I looked in every single room... until I found her. She was on a bed with needles. The heartbeat monitor was still and quiet, interruped by a thump every once in a while.

Beep! The monitor sounded... It showed a flat line. A line representing no life.

My eyes widened in fear. Lexy was dying. I panicked, so I shouted, "Somebody! Somebody! Please help me!" There or four nurses asking me what's wrong. "Lexy, she's dying. Please do something!"

One of the nurses bent her head low to Lexy's chest. "No beat. Nothing. We have to electrocuit her!"

"What? Why?" I asked in fear.

"It's the only way to bring her back."

"Ok..." I said. I sat down in a corner of the room, fetus position. I held my knees together and cried.

"It's gonna be okay, boy. We're gonna make sure she's alive."  A nurse said.

I sat still and whispered to Lexy, "Please, please Lexy. You can do this. You are strong, beautiful, and smart. It doesn't matter what Harry said. He doesn't know the way you are like I know you. You are the love of my life. I risk everything for you. You can't leave me. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever. Just please wake up, Lexy. I love you." 

After one shock: nothing.

My hands are silent. My voice is numb.

After two shocks: nothing.

I tried to scream out my lungs, but it makes this harder.

After three shocks: nothing.

And the tears stream down my face...

"I'm sorry," the head nurse said. I remained in the fetus position, crying my heart out. After a few moments, the nurses all left. I was alone in a room with Lexy, who was dead. Lexy's dead and it's all my fault. I can never forgive myself for what happened to her. I killed a girl that I was madly in live with. What am I going to do with myself?

I sat there, sad and confused. Then I heard a beep from the monitor. I looked up. One wave. Two waves, then four. Lexy coughed and her chest started moving again: up and down, up and down. It was beautiful and she was alive again. I wiped my tears and stood up. I stood by her bed and watched her open her eyes. She looked up at me and said, "Hi."

"Hey." I said. "How are you?"

"Fine... I guess. Niall, what happened and where am I?"

"You're in the hospital. We were in a car accident and you almost died."

"I did?"

"Yes, but the nurses saved you." I held her pale hand and kissed it. I kissed her cheed and put my other arm around her.

A nurse walked in and dropped all  her stuff in her arms, and shocked to see Lexy, up and alive. "You''re alive?"

"Yes m'am." Lexy answered.

"Janice! Clara! Molly! Get in here!" the nurse shouted. Three other nurses walked in and also dropped their stuff, shocked.

Was it really that big of a shock?

Lexy's P.O.V.

So the nurses say I can go home now... to live with Niall until all the cuts are gone.

Niall's P.O.V.

I walked back into my room and found Lexy playing with my guitar, softly and beautifully. She has learned so well. "What are you playing?" I asked.

"Just another song from your album: Last First Kiss." Lexy contunued strumming my guitar and humming. Then she stops. She looks up at me and asks, "Niall, something really bothers me."

"What is it, darling?"

She sighed and asked, "Why are you doing this for me?"

"Doing what?"

"Everything. You're so kind and generous. You cheer me when I'm down. You entertain me when I'm bored. You take me in when Harry locks me out. You make me laugh when I cry. You care for me more than I care for myself. Why?"

"Because you're my friend."

"But Liam and Zayn... they never do that. Why you? Tell me, Niall. I need to know."

"Ok. Will you promise me to not be mad when I say it?"

"Yes, I promise," and she held out her pinky. I took my pinky and hooked it with hers.

"The reason is that I love you."

"What?"

"I love you, Lexy. I think about you all the time. You never left my mind. And when I saw Harry abandoning you, I wanted to show you that you don't deserve to be alone. I wanted to make sure that you know that you're beautiful, sweet, intelligent, graceful. There's so many words to describe how I feel about you."

"Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Because you're with Harry, I didn't want to ruin our friendship like Louis did to you."

"Oh. I never knew that you felt this way for me."

"Well now you know. So Lexy, would you like to go out with me?" I asked.

Lexy's P.O.V.

My eyes widened. Did my friend, Niall James Horan, just ask me out? Whoa.