Takami Keigo x Gen - Part 1

"I still don't understand why you refuse to come to any of my events." Keigo pouted at his apprentice.

"Because they're intimidating. You always invite the cities most famous snobs." Gen shrugged, keeping her eyes focused on the papers she was trying to fill out.

"Those so called snobs are important pillars in our society." He reminded her, "I invite them to give my interns and apprentices a chance to make new connections with people of power." He sat on her desk just beside the forms she was working on, and poked her shoulder to draw her full attention.

Gen leaned back in her chair with a heavy sigh and looked into Keigo's face.

"I want you to come so that I can introduce you to some sponsors." He insisted, "You don't want to end up stuck here with me forever, do you?" He joked, but his composure faltered as he watched Gen look down at her hands in her lap.

"Would that be so bad?" She asked quietly and glanced up at him.

Keigo was surprised by her response, and was about to say more when a red light illuminated the room and an alarm sounded overhead.

"Disaster level... Nine." A robotic voice echoed over the speakers and the two heroes jumped to their feet, rushing towards their locker rooms to suit up.

Within minutes the pair were in the air, soaring towards a massive cloud of billowing smoke that rose from a mound of rubble which, just that morning, had been row upon row of office buildings.

"We still don't know the cause of the explosion, so keep your guard up." Keigo reminded Gen, and she nodded wordlessly, trying to calm her racing heart.

Over two dozen buildings had collapsed in the heart of Tokyo, and no one knew why. There were emergency workers responding on all sides of the catastrophe, but the devastation was too severe. Even the pros who had responded so far were having difficulty navigating the wreckage. Hawks and Blue Jay were called in to fly in ahead and handle the cases that demanded immediate attention, as well as map out a course for the ground teams to be able to safely enter the wreckage. At times it was exhausting being the only two flying heroes in Japan, but at the same time, Gen felt that it was an honour.

Gen, aka Blue Jay was a fresh graduate of UA, and this was her first big mission as a pro, rather than a student. To say she was nervous would be a huge understatement, and Hawks could tell. He flew close to her, letting his wings sweep over her's as they glided over the devastating scene. Gen looked over at her mentor with fearful eyes and he smiled comfortingly.

"You're ready for this. You train harder that any hero I've ever met." He encouraged and Gen felt pride swell in her chest. She steeled her emotions, pushing aside her fear and the pair dove down towards the rubble.

"Help! Someone please!" A woman's voice called out and the two pros veered off into the direction of the plea.

"Ma'am?" Hawks called back to her, "Where are you?" His eyes scanned the wreckage of an apartment building, but even with his sharp eyes, the smoke was making it practically impossible to see anything more than a few feet in front of him.

"I'm here!" The woman called with relief in her voice, "My son is trapped, please we need help!" She begged and Blue Jay soared lower, searching desperately for the woman.

"Hawks, I see her!" Jay called to him and swooped down beside a flipped car in the middle of what was once a street.

Hawks landed beside her and they rushed towards the woman. Her clothes and skin were covered in grime and she had blood dripping from a wound on her forehead.

Her body was trembling and she stumble towards Hawks, collapsing into his arms as a sob raked her body.

"My son, please, he's stuck in the car." She pleaded desperately, "I can't get to him." She cried and Hawks held her shoulders tightly, looking over the cut on her head.