Lonely When You're Not Around

I sat for hours without moving. I refused to leave her side. It didn't take me long to notice that they had removed her bracelet and wedding ring. I immediately lost my mind in the most crazy of ways. Realistically speaking, they had to remove them when they operated but common sense alluded me and I wanted heads to roll. She would have never agreed to remove them had she had the choice.

When they returned them to me, I immediately put them back where they belonged. Jamie somehow managed to keep the peace for me. I was bitter and it showed. My people skills were nonexistent at this point. I was an emotional wreck on the edge of breaking down at any given moment.

I sat and listened to the steady beep of the machines keeping Demi alive. It was the only thing I felt connected to. I barely noticed when her mother and sister arrived several hours later. I didn't want to notice anything but her. She was all I could see right now because I was terrified that this was it.

"I'm so sorry sweetheart." Her mom soothed as she wrapped her arms around me in an effort to comfort me. It didn't really work.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you." I said weakly as I cleared my throat. I barely recognized my own voice. "I just needed..."

"It's fine." Dianna interrupted. "Jamie told me what happened."

I studied the much older woman as she stood in front of me. She was an exact reflection of the way I felt. Exhausted, terrified, and helpless.

"They don't know if she's ever gonna wake up." My voice broke as the tears spilled over.

Once again her arms wrapped around me and she held onto me like both of our lives depended on it. By the time I managed to stop crying I was completely exhausted. We sat side by side grasping each other's hand trying to reconcile with the events that put us both in this position. It was all very senseless.

Their vehicle was struck by a drunk driver that ran a red light. He was going well over the speed limit and the force of the collision killed him instantly. The fact that I was happy about his death made me feel slightly uncomfortable, but at this point he's lucky he died in that crash because I'd probably kill him myself. He took everything from Demi. He took everything from me.

It was almost ironic that the thing Demi fought so hard to overcome ended up taking everything from her anyway. Granted, it wasn't her fault but it still seemed so cruel. It's like all of her progress didn't matter. Everything she worked for was gone in an instant.

The hours passed as I sat with Demi and her mother, the only sound was the steady beep of Demi's life support. It was almost maddening but at the same time it was what was keeping me sane. As long as I heard that beeping, she was still with me.

Slowly but surely the days turned into three weeks and she still hadn't regained consciousness. The doctor's said it was a waiting game. To add to the stress, the media was now camped outside the hospital. Once the news broke, everyone of course wanted to know what had happened and what was going to happen. So far only one of the questions had a definite answer.

"Selena." Jamie sighed. "We need to talk."

"Not right now." I mumbled dismissively.

"Yes right now." She insisted. "Demi's lawyer has called four times this week. You need to speak with him."

"Can't you just talk to him?" I asked as I tried to avoid the inevitable.

"No Selena. I can't."

"I can't deal with it right now." I snapped at the undeserving woman.

"But you have to. It's not my job nor is it my place. I can't make him disappear." She said neutrally.

"I know." I sighed in defeat.