The Heart Wants What It Wants

I wasn't expecting the phone call when it came. I was happy to hear from him though. He didn't exactly seem too pleased to be talking to me and he also sounded incredibly exhausted. I glanced at the clock and frowned. It was late for him as well. They were currently overseas playing all the festivals. They were the headlining band this year, which was a huge and amazing opportunity for them.

"You need to fly out here." He stated flatly. "It's out of hand."

"What?" I asked as I closed my eyes and braced myself for the answer. We both knew I was very aware of what, I just didn't want acknowledge it.

"It's Demi." He sighed. "I haven't seen her sleep in almost three days. She's shut everyone out. I don't know what to do."

"How bad?"

"It's bad." He sighed. "The worst I've ever seen her. She needs help. She needs you."

"I'll be there as soon as possible." I said quickly, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"I hope so." He said softly. "I'll see you soon Sel."

As soon as I hung up the phone I made arrangements to fly out that night. I had no idea what I would be walking into when I got there, but the fact that Matt called told me something wasn't right.

When I arrived in Portugal Matt arranged to meet at the airport and pick me up. I climbed into to the waiting SUV and hugged him.

"How was your flight?" He asked.

I noticed that he sounded sick. His voice was hoarse and gravely.

"It was good." I answered. "Are you ok? You don't sound too good."

"That's what I need to talk to you about." He basically whispered. "I need throat surgery. My voice is going. There's some damage and if I don't get it taken care of, the damage will be permanent."

"Oh my god." I said genuinely concerned. "What kind of time frame are we looking at?"

"The sooner the better." He said as he cleared his throat. "I can finish the next four shows but we have to cancel the rest of the tour. It's too much."

"I'll cancel it now if that's what you need." I said grabbing his hand.

"No." He said shaking his head. "I want to finish this leg."

"You sound terrible. How have you managed to sing sounding like that?" I asked.

"I'm on vocal rest." He explained. "I shouldn't be talking right now but it's important. She's killing herself Sel. Slowly but surely she's killing herself and these fucking morons you hired are letting her do it." He said in reference to the tour manager and the others that had been hired to assist the band.

I nodded as I listened.

"I can't see her like that anymore. She won't listen to me...and it's just, it's bad." He said sadly.

"How bad Matt?"

"You'll see for yourself." He said solemnly as we pulled up to the hotel.

"Are you going to be ok?" I asked touching his arm.

"I'll be fine." He smiled reassuringly. "My prognosis is good I just have to get the surgery."

"I'm glad to hear that." I said slightly relieved.

"Sel...help her. You're it. There's no one else." He said before opening the door and exiting the vehicle.

He wasn't lying when he told me it was bad.

***

I slowly opened the door to her hotel room and walked inside. Matt had given me the extra key. It was completely dark and it was absolutely freezing. I paused to allow my eyes the time to adjust to the inky blackness. Once I was able to see, I noticed the state of the room itself. It was a mess. Clothes, bottles and most disturbing of all, syringes littered the area.