Chapter Sixty-Nine - Leviathan's Demise

Corvino felt the first pull draw between his spine, equally displaced between his wings. He gave Mikhail a sideways glance and decided he was fine. Sometimes the pulls were wrong and this one was so faint that he supposed that perhaps he had only imagined it. He continued chatting easily with Mikhail while they healed, making their way lazily back towards Grand Castle.

A minute later the twinge came again and Corvino had no choice but to stop Mikhail where he was, kneel down, and physically check the boy over. Innocence didn't comment on the odd behavior but it left him puzzled when Corvino suddenly stood bolt upright and began turning around in small circles as if searching for something nearby. “You must get back to the castle. Now.” He barked, half tempted to pick Mikhail up and race him there himself.

“What's wrong?” Mikhail asked, his bright blue eyes now ringed with fear. “Corvino?”

“Go!” Death barked. He had forgotten about the damned dog. Oh how could I have been so stupid? But he didn't waste another second on self-degradation and instead turned on his heels and began the race towards where his increasing twinges called him.

He was nearly there before the need to transmute became too much. Death could feel his skin peeling away but it hurt far less than the burning desire to kill which grew steady within his heart. It was a strange thing, being tied to another being. His very soul was called over and over again, chanting out its eerie need. And the longer it took to answer such a call, the worse it became for him. By the time he reached the Fields, Corvino was no longer himself.

Flesh ripped from bone, muscles and tendons snapped and fell away as he grew. And soon stood Death, a towering inferno of black smoke and bone, his soul now guided him down, looking for the one unfortunate enough to dare harm the one he was so unmistakably tied to.

The scene before him was glorious. Choler let out a deep thunderous roar as he slashed at Leviathan's chest. There was blood everywhere from both creatures as they fought with such veracity that one could not truly tell where one creature began and the other ended. Leviathan opened his maw, baring his venomous fangs for a moment before sinking them down into Choler's shoulder with deadly malice.

Corvino's legs were moving and he had neither their power nor the desire to stop them as he marched towards the murderous couple. “Leviathan, that's enough.” Death spoke, letting free the voices of those that he had claimed over the ages. He heard Estelle begin to weep somewhere nearby but it little concerned him. Now, his single desire was to protect that which he had vowed to do.

“If you think I'm giving up without a fight you're mistaken.” Leviathan snarled once he had released his lips from Choler.

Corvino could feel the presence of his brothers nearing as well as the Sins but already knew by the time they arrived it would be far too late. His scythe was inadvertently left with Samael but he didn't need it to do his job. He took another step forward, spanning the gap between him and the two who seemed intent on a fray. One good grasp upon Leviathan's neck and the demon went flying as Corvino threw him away as if he weighed nothing. “Do not make this difficult.” Death ordered, marching his way over towards where Leviathan had landed.

The darkness of the Fields gave for great cover but in Corvino's eyes the world was bright and shadows were nonexistent. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the quick flash of something move but by the time he locked onto the threat it was too late.

Lucifer, in all his demonic glory, flew towards Leviathan with such speed that nothing, not even Corvino, could have stopped him. Wings so black they seemed to leech the very darkness around him were silent as he flew. His curly hair whipped around his beautiful face which was so warped with hatred that he was almost unrecognizable. And, in a second, he was upon Leviathan, dagger in hand.