Chapter Forty-Five - The Truth About Lies

Nearly three quarters of Legion was excused from attending Mikhail’s announcement simply due to the fact that they were either too injured to move, still stuck somewhere underneath the rubble, or dead. And, although there were still hundreds of thousands there to hear his words, Mikhail couldn’t help but notice how empty the path to the gates seemed.

Mikhail waited five extra minutes to be sure that everyone had time to arrive. Those that were there stood resolute and stoic, patiently waiting for him to speak so they could return home and search for their families and friends. Dressed in his finest suit and tie, Mikhail struggled to keep a calm demeanor, feeling as though his clothes would choke him to death. He had to get through this without laying blame and he knew it wasn't going to be easy.

Finally, Mikhail realized that everyone was waiting for him and decided to get it over with as quickly as possible. He looked over at Maggie's empty throne next to his own and made his choice. He would lie if he had to but he could not risk the fallout if they knew what had really happened. Or more to the point, Maggie couldn’t risk the fallout.

“Legion, I called you here today with the hopes of giving you the answers which you all deserve.” Mikhail began, standing from his throne to speak. “However, the reasoning behind that which caused such massive destruction has yet to be found.” Mikhail easily heard the grumbles which emanated from what was left of Legion and quickly decided to change tactics. “Let me say now that every available resource I have is diligently working to find the source. And, I give you my word that I will not rest until an answer is found. Also know that I appreciate all the hard work everyone has been putting in to reestablish peace within Hell. Your actions have not gone unnoticed and be assured that anything you need to rebuild is available to you. We will spare no expense when it comes to making sure that every last demon is found and has a place to call home.

“Starting now, I am issuing forth the command that Grand Castle’s rebuilding will be placed on hold so as to free up whatever assistance that can be put to better use in Hell. Those of you Lessers that are here today and would normally work in the castle are ordered to head into Hell once I've dismissed you. Do whatever is commanded of you and be proud that you can work to better the lives of others.” Legion’s grumbles slowly turned into whispered lauds of praise for Mikhail’s selfless edict and for a moment he was sure that he had Legion back on his side.

“Now I understand that many of you would like nothing more than to return to the city and continue your work, so I will keep this as short as I can.” Mikhail began again, seeing the hopeful faces on many of his followers. “For those of you who are still missing your family and neighbors, I give you my deepest condolences. We will set up stations within the city where you can all go. These stations are to be used to reunite the lost with their families and to make lists of those still missing. With your hard work and diligence, I have no doubt that we will have Hell back up and running within a matter of decades.”

Legion cheered at Mikhail’s hopeful words which bolstered their faith and commitment to the crown. While there were still many questions left unanswered, he was certain that, with time, all of them would be forgotten. Feeling emboldened by his ability to keep Legion united and pleased, despite such unfortunate circumstances, Mikhail did a rather unexpected thing. He should have simply dismissed Legion and let them be on their way, happy and pleased to return to work. Instead, he offered them the chance to say whatever was on their united mind and it took less than two minutes before he seriously regretted his decision. Unfortunately, once he had opened the floor for questions, he knew he couldn’t back out as it would only give rise to more questions about his guilt in the matter at hand.

“Do you think it was an attack from Heaven?” A lord asked, followed by several hundred echoing his thoughts.

“While it is a possibility, I highly doubt it. God has never been one to pull an all-out attack. And I would imagine that if he were to be so bold as to attack us as such, he would not hesitate to lay claim to it as quickly as possible. We have had no word from Heaven on this matter as of yet and I doubt that we will. As I said before, we are working non-stop to find out what caused this, but I have no answers for you yet.”