Chapter Twenty-Nine - Five Years Later

“Sire, please!” Corvino begged, already knowing Mikhail's answer would be the same as it had been the day before, and the day before that. “You have to send Legion back!”

“Not until we find her.” Mikhail answered calmly, not even bothering to look up from the stack of reports in his lap to welcome his now ever-present shadow.

“I'm begging you, Sir.” Corvino continued, taking a knee and gaining Mikhail's full attention. “It's been five years, Mikhail. She doesn't want to be found, just let her go.”

“No!” Mikhail roared, slamming his fist down and strewing the paperwork in every direction. “I am not in the mood for this conversation, Corvino. Find your place and heed me quickly for my temper is short today.”

“Yes Sire.” Corvino answered, bowing as he started to leave Mikhail's side. “May I mention one thing before I head to Earth, Sir?” Mikhail was already bent over, retrieving the reports from around his feet, but motioned for Corvino to continue. “While I admire your stubbornness and the blinding focus with which you have decided to approach this endeavor, I feel it is my duty to remind you of your priorities, Mikhail. Heaven is already gaining lost ground; it will not be long before they surpass us and regain control. How long are you planning on keeping us all on hold while you search for her?”

“Until I find her.” Mikhail answered truthfully and calmly as he focused more on reorganizing his work that what Corvino was asking. They had been through this same conversation hundreds of times already and while Mikhail could tell Corvino was losing faith, he had plenty for the both of them.

“Fantastic, Sir.” Corvino began with a sarcastic tone. “And when everything is falling apart, you are still heir-less, and we all end up being condemned back into Heaven? When you end up being the one to destroy us all, the one to lose everything, including Earth, will you still be searching for her? Will you still insist on this ludicrous farce?”

“Enough, Captain.” Mikhail spoke with a level tone, although his blood boiled inwardly with rage. “I have heard this before and will no doubt hear it again. I just need a little more time. She's here, Corvino. And, I need to find her.”

“As you wish, Sir.” Corvino sighed, bowing once again and finally leaving Mikhail to himself.

“She was just a little girl.” Mikhail groaned, mostly to himself although Corvino heard him just as he was separating the flaps of the tent to leave.

“No.” Corvino's words came out with care. “She was a grown woman. She made her own choices, Mikhail.”

“Then why do I feel so guilty?”

Death watched as Mikhail ran his fingers through his hair with frustration. “We all feel guilty.”

“I can't leave her here.” Mikhail pleaded. It was rare he ever let his emotions show after his fight with Israfil and Corvino knew just how hard it was for Mikhail.

“I knew something was amiss with her, Sire. I too feel guilt. It all makes sense now but I should have known. I should have checked. No wonder she was having seizures and drinking and whatnot. And damn Mikhail for doing that to her. There is no excuse for putting a soul that big into such a small body. Her soul told me everything I needed to know but I was just too blind to see it. She was dying in that body, Mikhail; you and I both know it. Her soul was just trying to escape that human prison Michael put it in. She was killing herself.” Mikhail nodded but otherwise didn't answer. “Michael knew better. We all knew better. But now, now is not a time to wallow in our past ineptitude. Sire, we need an heir. We need a leader. We need you back.”