Chapter Forty-Nine - Turning Points

Maggie's breath hitched quite suddenly as she sat up in Mikhail's bed, freezing cold and blue in her lips and fingers. Ignoring the pain which bolted through her body, she climbed out of bed. The twins quickly welcomed her back, sobbing out their feelings of loss and their capacity to have missed her dearly. Hana stirred from her restful state, yawning as she sat up from the settee on the other side of the room. It took only seconds before she realized that Maggie was not only conscious again but up and moving. As quickly as she could, Hana bolted from her seat and gave chase as Maggie tried to rip open the door leading out into the hall with a desperate sense of rage. “Dear, what are you doing?” Hana asked as she tried to hold Maggie back from the door and get her back into bed. “You shouldn't be out of bed right now, you've taken ill.”

“I need to get to Leviathan. Now.” Maggie nearly screamed, sending goosebumps down Hana's body. “Either help me find him or stay out of my way.”

The threat hit home and Hana nodded her head in acceptance. “He'll be on the first floor, last room down the main hall.”

With her hands shaking from both fear and from being freezing cold, Maggie couldn't get the door knob to turn and so Hana calmly pulled her hands away and gently twisted the door open for her. A quick, sad smile of thanks was all Maggie could afford before streaking down the hall towards the stairs. Hana followed right behind, aiding Maggie in anyway she could. The poor girl looked horrid; like death warmed over, but it was clear that whatever was going on was urgent.

It didn't take long before several of Maggie's maids and a handful of Lessers were trailing behind, worried sick over their princess' poor state of health. With her small band of allies in tow, Maggie nearly ran full tilt down the upper hall, causing a riotous echo of footsteps to reverberate through the high-ceilinged corridor. The renovations to Grand Castle had yet to be done so it was a hard path getting there but with help Maggie managed to finally make it.

“Whatever it is you can tell me. I highly doubt Leviathan is the best person to go to for a problem.” Hana huffed out as she navigated a wobbly Maggie past a pile of rubble. “I've seen that man at his worst and he's not to be trusted.”

“It's too late.” Maggie answered. “I can't let Mikhail get his way on this and Leviathan is the only one I know who has the chance to stop him.” Hana couldn't help but wonder what could possibly be going on, but decided to keep her thoughts to herself and let Maggie go on ahead. If she was that upset and frantic over whatever it was, then it had to be important.

Leviathan flew into a rage upon hearing the doors to his quarters being slammed open without so much as a knock or even a request for permission to enter. However, seeing Maggie stumble into his inner chambers looking as though Corvino had recently paid her a visit gave him cause to hold off his vile anger for a moment or two. “My Dear, what has happened to you?” He asked, making sure to give off his most worried form of expression. “Come and sit before you fall.”

“There's no time; Mikhail will be back soon and I need to give you this before he gets back.” Maggie panted out between her chattering teeth as she reached down into her pocket and pulled out the list and handed it over. “He swore to me that he didn't write it but everything in this letter is coming true and he's the one doing it.” Maggie quickly turned to see that only Hana had dared to enter Leviathan's chambers with her and decided that with such intimate settings it was time to get some things off of her chest. “I am pregnant with twins.” She blurted out before she could think on it any longer. “Wracke and Ruine are coming and Mikhail wants to put one in Heaven and keep the other for himself. He's planning on destroying everything and I can't let that happen.”