Chapter Forty-One - Turning

As Leviathan made his way down to the lower levels with Maggie in tow, he couldn't help but marvel at his own wisdom. Deep in his own thoughts, he hardly noticed Maggie watching him with a curious look. Nor did he really care. It wouldn't take much more to get Maggie completely on his side and once he did it would be all too easy to get her to turn over that stupid little rock in her pocket, along with the letter.

"Not much farther, Dear." Leviathan said, making sure to take her hand as he led her down the narrow, carved out, stone steps which led to the lower parts of Grand Castle. Soon, the stench of angels permeated the air, making Leviathan wrinkle his nose in disgust.

Steam and ash began pluming up through the tunnels making it difficult for Maggie to breathe as she seriously began to wonder if going with Leviathan had been a good idea. Still, he seemed nice enough and he was doing her a favor by helping her navigate the passage ways. It would be entirely too rude to balk now and ask to turn around. No wonder the Lessers were forced to do this kind of work. Maggie doubted that Mikhail would ever put himself in such a place as this.

Soon, Maggie started to see the angels which made up the work force of the caves; all laboring with seeming determination at their tasks. Filthy and wretched looking creatures they were, but she couldn't find space within her heart to ask Leviathan as to why they were in such a state of disrepair. Cavern after cavern they passed until she thought that perhaps Leviathan was just as lost as she was. Moments before she was about to ask if he knew where he was going, he came to a sudden stop.

Several guards approached, each with a spear in hand which they were careful to point away from the new arrivals as they bowed appreciatively towards the two. "King and Princess, to what do we owe such a pleasurable arrival?"

"Our dearest Margret wishes to order some extra linen from the stock." Leviathan answered with a rather curt tone to his voice.

"Most certainly, Sire. I'd be honored to relay the order. No sense in having you two fine and upstanding folks down 'ere with us."

"We will do what we please, you sniveling, little snit. Dare to order me around again and it will come out with your last breath." Leviathan sneered as he hauled the guard up by his collar. "We will enter and you will stay your place. Understood?"

"Yes, yes Sire. As you wish, please go ahead."

Leviathan let the guard go and promptly kicked another who was unfortunate enough to be looking at the floor instead of towards Leviathan's foot. Maggie quickly ran to aid the poor guard back up, giving Leviathan a desperate look of disappointment. All too quickly she realized where Mikhail got his bad traits from.

"If you don't mind, Leviathan, I'd like to handle this myself. I promised Mikhail and myself, for that matter, that I would take care of this." Turning to the guards, Maggie smiled warmly before addressing them all. "Would you all mind showing me where I need to go? I just need to order the linen and then I will be on my way."

One of the guards led Maggie away, leaving Leviathan with a sour look on his face. As far as he was concerned, Maggie was far too independent for her own good. No wonder Mikhail had found her interesting enough to consider for a mate. No matter though; it wouldn't be long before they all learned that he was far smarter than all of them . . . not long at all.

"Who are all these people?" Maggie asked as she and the guard picked their way through the masses who so laboriously toiled on the floor, washing, rinsing, and drying innumerable amounts of laundry.

"They are the fallen angels from Heaven, Princess." The guard answered back, waving his hand through the air as if it were something completely not worth talking about. "Don't you pay them any heed, Ma'am."