Chapter Thirty-Six - Welcome Back, Maggie

As Mikhail pushed open Maggie’s apartment door, the room living-room shimmered slightly and then returned to normal. Quietly, and without thought, he made his way down the hall and towards her bedroom. As he approached, Mikhail’s ears picked up on a muffled, rhythmic beat, emanating from behind her door. He slowed and eventually came to a stand-still, pressing his ear up against the wooden door to better listen in on what Maggie was doing. Quite suddenly, he froze, his blood turning to ice as something small brushed against his leg. Slowly, he looked down and let out his breath, seeing it was only a tabby colored cat giving him the once over before turning and strutting away.

Dreams were often strange and Mikhail was averse to interrupt when ill prepared. The thumping beat continued through the door, added onto the sound of numerous muffled voices. He heard nothing that gave him a clear idea as to what Maggie’s dream comprised of, so he chose to open the door and find out. Worst case scenario: he would have to simply close it and try again another time.

The thunderous beat hit Mikhail hard, causing his senses to reel for a moment before he could accustom himself to the noise. His whole body throbbed with the loudness, his ears momentarily ringing from the shock. Strobe lights bounced around the room, leaving his vision blurred until he managed to blink enough to clear it.

What should have been Maggie’s bedroom was not her bedroom at all. Smirking wryly, Mikhail walked further in, gently pushing through the throng of faceless people who filled up the space. While he had never given himself the chance to visit an establishment such as this, he knew exactly what it was. “Oh Maggie, my darling,” Mikhail muttered, still grinning like a child in a candy store. “You naughty, naughty little thing.” He had yet to find her amongst the crowd but he knew full well she was there. Somewhere.

Mikhail took his sweet time, letting himself stare at Maggie’s thoughtful, if not tactless, creation. He found a small, grime covered table near the edge of the large, concrete walled room and took a seat. It didn’t take long before he was approached, although, much to his dismay, it wasn’t by Maggie. A slender, tall woman neared him, giving him a quick once-over before slipping in and taking a seat on his lap. “Hi Sexy, my name’s Kitty. Need me to get you a drink, Sweetheart? Or somethin’ better maybe?”

“I don’t drink.” Mikhail answered, making sure to keep his hands clear of the new vestige which was now snuggling deep against his chest. She wore nothing more than a pure white, lacy bra, an extremely short, plaid mini-skirt, and a pair of black, thigh-high boots, and her ensemble was making it rather difficult for him to hold his thoughts together.

“There’s always a first for everything.” The dark haired woman cooed, nuzzling her perky breasts against Mikhail’s chest.

“Indeed.” He answered, arching his eyebrows as he forced himself not to stare. This was, lest he not forget, Maggie’s dream. She was obviously testing him, though why he could not tell, and he was determined to not let her down. “Perhaps you could be of some assistance.” Mikhail found himself looking everywhere but in front of him. Hundreds of faceless men turned to stare back at him as if sensing Mikhail’s misfortune. Slowly, the men turned back to the action on the stage, too entranced to avail Mikhail of his predicament.

“Of course, Sugh. Anything for you.” Mikhail felt the woman’s hand slip down between his legs, uninhibitedly taking hold of him and grinding her body deeper in against his. “What is it you want?”

“No, no Kitty, nothing like that.” Mikhail took a moment to steady his rapidly beating heart and reminding himself several times of his real reason for being here. “Could you tell me where I might find Maggie? Maggie Sellers?”