Chapter Thirty-Five - Breaking Through

Scaling the steps up to his throne, Mikhail slipped onto the seat and impatiently waited for his crown to be removed. Finally, after Legion again chanted their servitude to his reign, he descended once again and began to change into his demonic self. Knowing now that there was nothing to be done about his charcoal colored wings, Mikhail smiled sadly as he let free all of his past wishes to see them black as night. Halfway between his dais and the gates, a familiar voice rang out Mikhail's name against Legion's continued exultation. Digging his clawed feet into the dirt, he came to a crashing halt, ready to rip the head off of the one who had dared to stall his reunion with Maggie.

Roaring in pure loathing, Mikhail spun back around as Legion silenced and quickly began to clear room for their master. As the dirt and gravel settled down, Leviathan held his ground, standing alone as Legion left him to his fate. “What!” Mikhail boomed out, standing up on his two rear legs and gnashing his teeth together in irate fury. “What is it now, Father?”

“Why Mikhail,” Leviathan began, putting on his most friendly, and truly fake, smile. “I only came to wish you a fond farewell, my Son. Surely I have done nothing to deserve such heated aggravation.”

“You know full well what you have done, both past and present. Do not put on false faces to dissuade Legion against me. You had your chance with the crown and you will never have it again, least through me.”

“Suit yourself, Mikhail.” Leviathan spoke, making sure to keep his voice level and placid while his blood boiled for his son's to be spilled. Legion was on its way out but they both knew full well their conversation could be overheard. “As I said, I am only a father wishing his son adieu.”

“Say whatever is on your mind now, Father.” Mikhail resumed, watching the faces of Legion as they not so secretly listened in on their conversation. “I somehow doubt you will see me again until I am back to pass my reign down onto my own son.”

“Speaking of such . . . have you given any further thought to acquiring one? No doubt we would all love to hear your thoughts on such a massive subject.” Legion began to nod, feeling bold enough to do so while they were still one.

“Leave it to me, Father. No doubt you will be nothing but disappointed with what I produce, much as you were with me. Either way, I will care little once I place your head upon a spike.”

“To kill me then. Is that your ultimate goal in life? Surely I thought it to be that of seeing free will reign, but now you have once again proven me wrong. I look forward to seeing your efforts upon the battlefield, Mikhail. I have no doubts that our fight will be one for the ages.”

Mikhail stooped down, letting his gray wings splay outward as he did so and bending to reach his father's ear in privacy against Legion's masses. “Oh Leviathan,” Mikhail began, feeling his father tremble with nausea at being so close to his ill-reputed son. “I know your weaknesses now, Leviathan. Do not think me so heavenly angelic as to not use her against you. She now finds you as repulsive as I do and will surely be a sight to see as I tear the flesh from her bones simply to watch you weep. Mother, I believe, would even offer it, knowing what agony I could push into your cold heart. She thinks you have forgotten her, left her to her fate. But we both know better than that, don't we? Leviathan never forgets a string he's left unstripped. I know full well you still hold fond feelings for her and I will be only too happy to tear her from Hell and send her back where she belongs. Find yourself another to berate upon, dear Father, for you hold sway over me no longer. Your tyranny is through and I will relish the day I have enough free time to watch you pay for your transgressions. As for now, I suggest you find a place to hide. While it will not stop me from finding you, it may buy you some much-needed time whilst I favor the hunt. Goodbye, Father. May the next time we meet be as pleasurable as our first.”