Chapter Fifty-Seven - Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!

Far off to the west end of Hell stood a cave, appearing relatively small in size, but large enough to hold the two Corvino was looking for. The mouth of the cave was just big enough Corvino could fit through but not with Samael in tow. “Stay here, I'll be right back.” He said, hopping off his horse and giving him a well earned rest. Samael watched nervously as Corvino ducked his head and disappeared into the cave with scythe in hand.

Silence reverberated around Corvino as he made his way deeper into the cave. Darkness swallowed him up, welcoming him into its cold embrace like a long-lost lover returning to find salvation. Corvino thrived in darkness. But so did the twins. Two small embers glowed in the blackness, flaring brighter and then dimming again. The smell of cigarettes permeated the air. “Well, well, well.” The darkness spoke. “What brings the captain to our humble abode?” Corvino had no idea which of the twins it was that had spoken but in all honesty it didn't really matter.

“You know why I'm here.”

“Hmm, Hell burns itself to the ground and you waste your time chatting with us.” Another drag from a cigarette and Romulus' face lit up gently behind it. Or what it Remus?

“I was hoping my time here would end with fruition.” Corvino offered, coming a little closer.

“Nobody wants us out there. They've all made that painfully clear in the past.” Romulus' brother spoke from beside him. Remus flicked his finished cigarette into the unseen fire pit and the cave came to life. Fire danced happily from the dried wood, lending light where light was not needed. It was more for warmth than for light, however, as the cave was cold and dank. “What makes you think we would ever help them now? After what they have all brought us to; forced to live in a damned cave like animals, hidden away so as to be forgotten.”

“I haven't forgotten you. You know that.”

“No, because we are of use to you, Captain. And we have never once dropped our end of the bargain. We hunt your ghosts just as you ask. But this is not between the three of us.” Romulus added his cigarette to the fire and stood. Clad in tight jeans and a faded tee-shirt, he looked like he belonged on Earth far more than Hell. His brother, Remus, was dressed similarly but they weren't quite identical. Romulus' hair was cut a little longer while Remus' was rather short. They were the same height but Romulus' was built just a little larger. Their green eyes gleaned against the fire light as they studied their master. “This is between us and them.” Romulus finished as his brother stood to join him.

“I disagree.” Corvino answered. “This is between us and our enemies. And an enemy of your enemy is your friend. Put aside your differences for a moment and look at the bigger picture. Your home is here in Hell, whether you like it or not, and if you don't help you'll be put out into the universe with the rest of us.”

“Then maybe we'll just go to Earth instead. We spend more time there now than we do here as it is.”

Corvino shook his head. “They won't accept you for what you are.”

“Oh, like we're accepted here?” Remus scoffed with a snort. “What's the difference?”

“Besides, we've seen their movies, read their books, paid attention to their media. They are in love with us, they idolize us, revere us now. We are like gods to them.”

Corvino shook his head again. “No, they idealize the idea of you. Show yourselves for what you truly are and they will hunt you down the same way they did in the past. If you stay on Earth you will have to do it in hiding.”

“Just as we do here. But we don't think so.”

“The Salem Witch Trials were not all that long ago. Nor the hunting they did of your kind and the others.”