Chapter Nineteen - A Beginning and an End

Mikhail sat still on the side of the road across the pond, patiently waiting for Maggie's arrival. There was nothing he could do to help her in her journey, except maybe to hope that she would make it back to him alive. He knew hope was a silly thing to rest her chances on, however, so instead he chose to simply wait. Almost an hour after Maggie had awoken from her dream, he heard the all-too-familiar sound of hooves coming up the road.

He stood, making sure to not take a single step from his place where Maggie had left him. Several minutes later, she came into view as she desperately tried to stay on top of Eachann. Maggie looked like she had just been dragged through Hell and back and Mikhail was pretty sure he was close enough to the truth.

Ignoring most of the minor wounds for later, it appeared as if Maggie had been tossed off Eachann several times during their trip, and the look on Maggie's face told him he was correct. Her hair was caked in mud and dirt, her once neat curls were now a frizzled mess of tangles and knots. Maggie's face now proudly sported several deep cuts and one painfully looking red cheekbone. Her sweater was torn and frayed, leaving little to Mikhail's imagination. Several hoof prints were embossed across her body, and Mikhail was happy to see that the horse was still alive, although surprised that Maggie hadn't killed him yet.

Eachann continued to fight, tossing Maggie off just as she had almost made it back to the pond. Too exhausted to fight she simply crashed back onto the ground with a groan and rolled out from under Eachann's legs as the horse attempted to kick her. "Come on then." Maggie rasped out, already feeling the bruises on her chest begin to welt. "Get on Eachann before I die out here." Mikhail tried to hide his laughter, watching as she picked herself back up off the grass, only to trip on her own feet and go crashing into the pond.

Maggie had just about had enough of the entire situation and hated Mikhail for what he had done to her. The whole thing was becoming quite ridiculous, and it was entirely his fault. Trying not to choke on the water she had inadvertently inhaled, Maggie stoically dragged herself back out of the water, hating the fact that she was now completely soaked. Eachann reared up on his back legs for the umpteenth time as she hauled herself back towards him. "Oh shut up you stupid ass." Maggie snapped, grabbing the stallion's reins and giving them a good, hard yank. "Are you coming or not?" Hauling herself back up on Eachann, Maggie held out a hand and let Mikhail use what little strength she had left to climb up as well.

As Maggie ground her now both sprained ankles into Eachann's hindquarters, forcing the horse to comply, Mikhail tenderly wrapped his arms around her waist. Pulling himself in close, he couldn't help but nestle his head into her dripping wet hair, inhaling her perfect scent. The mixture of her lilac scented shampoo and the dirt from her journey made Maggie smell divine, forcing him to pull away and refocus.

As the three got closer to the house Eachann started to calm, complying to Maggie's wishes with mulish servitude. Once having him back under control, Maggie nervously let the reins go, leaving Eachann to lead himself home. Filthy and in no mood to for Mikhail's antics, she appreciated his silence as best as she could. The estate slowly came into view, black plumes of smoke still spewing out from what was left of the great building.

Eachann stalled for only a moment, hesitant to take Maggie anywhere near something so obviously on fire. She patted his neck, willing the horse to draw nearer to their final destination. Jessie ran up the trail, seeing Maggie returning from her latest run out to the pond. Meeting her halfway, Jessie happily walked next to Eachann and began reporting the latest news to Maggie and Mikhail. "Oh my God, Maggie. I'm so glad you're alright. The firemen can't seem to get this fire under control. What the hell happened?" Ignoring Mikhail's wrinkled nose, Jessie didn't wait for Maggie to answer her question before continuing on. "I was halfway down to Haddington when I heard the sirens and saw the trucks going up to the estate, turned right back around and followed them back up. Jesus, Maggie. Talk about bad luck, how much worse could it get for you today?"