Chapter 18- B-Bestie?

We walked in to Kaiser together, side by side. It was not my idea and I did tell him it was the worst idea ever. He just answered me with, "Do it for me? Please?"

He said it with such emotion, his eyes were just pleading me, I couldn't possibly reject him. Hey, you wouldn't either, so don't judge me.

People were staring as he walked me to my office, murmuring to each other, greeting him hurriedly when they pass by him or make eye contact with him on accident. I felt unnatural since I greeted all those who greeted him, yet all he had to was nod, and everyone would just look away or blush. I really did not like it, the way they react to his nod.

'Oh, c'mon, at least he smiles only for you,' my heart whispered to me.

My brain cut in in an instant, 'Hey! Don't get carried away, you have much more important things to do than to get all jealous about this.'

I wanted to tell my brain to shut up for once, but I knew that what it had said was right. I had no right to focus on anything but my projects and my brother. I still had to think of a way to avoid Vastel. He knew who Fancy-Ass was, he knew where I work at, he knew all the things necessary to find me.

I started to hyperventilate, thinking of the things that he had already known. I could feel myself shivering, I wanted to stop thinking yet my mind kept racing, theories and possibilities, playing over and over again in my head.

"Sorry, I'll use the bathroom real quick," I told Fancy-Ass when we were almost at my desk. I dumped my things onto my table before rushing off to the toilet. I locked myself in the first stall as soon as possible. I curled up on the toilet seat, trying to make myself seem small in front of my seemingly gigantic fears and problems.

However, no matter what I did, I couldn't stop my worries from overwhelming me. Soon, I felt the tears just pooling up, my grip on my knees tightened, my breathing were as unstable as the economics during the Great Depression. I buried my face into between my kneecaps, squeezing my eyes close.

How long I was in there, I have no clue. All I can remember was somebody rapidly banging on the door, calling my name. The only reason I opened the door was because a pair of high heel boots were visible from under the door.

The moment I unlocked the door, Airi immediately burst in and locked the door. She did it so swiftly, so familiarly, it was almost surreal. It made me realise how often she had to deal with me. Without a word, she hugged me. She hugged me tightly, applying enough pressure to let me breathe, yet enough to hold me there even with me struggling.

"I thought you were gonna be pissed at me for not coming to work and not telling you yesterday," I whispered quietly.

I could tell that she was scared even with her face buried, "Oh, I'm livid, alright. I'm more worried than angered, though. We can do that later. Seriously, I knew something was wrong when you didn't show up yesterday. I'm sorry I didn't go to you sooner. I thought you had a new boyfriend, so I thought you were fine."

I patted her back lightly, "Why would you assume so?"

She blurted, "A guy answered your phone when I called. So, I thought that he was your new boyfriend, y'know. And then, I saw you and Mr. Luzien together just now. Then, you suddenly ran off. And I took the chance to ask him about you but all he said that he thought you were sick and mentioned that he saw you yesterday. I know something doesn't add up. Tol, you know you can tell me anything, right?"

I didn't answer. I know I shouldn't lie, I know I should just tell her. This shouldn't be a dilemma I should be facing.

She looked up at me, "Right?"