Chapter 45- Oh Mah Gods, Ze Guilt

"Listen," I told him, "I know I pissed you off and messed up that day but I seriously need time and space. I can't comprehend all of this." (Ah, yes, lies, good job, Tolmer.)

"I know, I said that I'd give you time and all that. I know I wasn't being myself that night it's not your fault. I'm so sorry I acted so childishly and I actually ignored you this morning, it was so petty of me," his words reeked of sincerity.

'You're letting him apologise. You know you are in the wrong, right?' my brain challenged. (Like, yes, I get it, jeez.)

"Hey, also, I'm sorry if I made you feel like we are on different levels. I'm only an ordinary human, just like you. I didn't know you felt that way. I know I may have come off as arrogant at times, I'm so sorry," he added.

My heart nearly stopped. So he heard us after all. I regretted ever saying that, he sounded so insecure. I never thought that he would feel that way. Well, to be fair, it was already wrong of me to judge him when we first met, why would I be right now?

I could feel the lump of guilt in my throat, I made him feel bad, he took the fall for me.

"It's alright, I can't blame you. I want to talk to Vastel, about some...private matters, I hope you don't mind," I attempted to change the topic, creating something I can't go back on between us was a horrifying thought.

A few moments of silence came from the other side until the sound of a door closing was heard.

"Sure, I'm sorry. He just came through the door. I'll hand him the phone now," he said, his tone was unmistakably melancholic, it was nearly impossible to not beg him to stay.

It caught me off guard if I were to be honest. I didn't understand how he could just be so vulnerable in front of people, in a way, it scared me. I couldn't comprehend it, and I certainly didn't know how to deal with it.

I wanted to stay yet I want to escape from this feeling that I know will hurt me.

"Hey hey hey," Vastel's chirping voice yanked me back to reality. "So, what made you call me? If this is about your amigo, I already apologized. However, I did make it clear that I wouldn't take back what I had said."

I pushed my glasses back to its position, "Ah, well, it's not about her, don't worry. I just wanted to ask you about my brother, how was he like? I can't remember much, why is that? And, my parents, what made my brother kill them? What-"

"Woah, slow down. I'll answer all your questions one by one," he said in such a slow and calm way, it irritated me a little bit.

"Go on," I urged. "Just tell me."

He sighed, "Hang on, gotta make Luzien here leave, so we can talk about your frère, yes?"

I have no idea what a frère is but, I'm assuming it's probably something important that he didn't want Luzien to know. Perhaps Luzien did not understand French, who knows.

Their muffled voices were heard from the other end. I only managed to catch on to a few words. Something about seeing, Friday, fine, and olives. I have no idea, and I doubt they would want me to know.

I waited quietly until I heard the slamming of a door.

Vastel cleared his throat, "Okay, now that he has been taken care of, let's start this thing."

"I'm listening," I said, signalling him to tell me whatever he was going to tell me before.

"You are walking home right now?" he randomly asked, I was sure it wasn't something related to what we were going to discuss. But, then again, I suppose it should be important, since he was asking.

"Yeah, I'm on my way back," I told him, my patience were starting to thin out. "Can you tell me now?"

"You should probably stay at Airi's place for now. Also, make sure no one is following you when you go to her house. I'm concerned for your safety. My house is pretty dangerous already, and I'm not sure about yours. The safest bet is her house."

Oh, he was...worried.

"Now, listen carefully, Tolmer," he began. I could tell that he was in his serious mode. "We shall start with why you lost most of your memories in the first place."