Chapter Twenty-Four: Letters

Late Autumn 18**

My dear beloved Gabriel,

When you open this letter, you will already be far from home. Home. It feels almost iron to call this place your home, considering what has happened to you here. Yet I sincerely hope that this is how you feel as well. I know you have been wondering why I have sent you away, but please believe me when I say that this is for your best. I do want to give you everything I possibly can. I want you to have everything you wish for. This is my wish and I beg you to fulfil it.

I have never been one to write sentimental letters, but I do want you to know how much I am going to miss you. I already miss you as I write these words. You are my sunshine on a cloudy day. You are my air in the depth of an ocean. Gabriel, you mean more to me than I have ever expressed to you and I apologize for that. When you found out about your mother, I thought that everything was over between us. I could not believe how much I have messed up when we just started getting along. Words are not enough to express my regret and sadness, but I want you to know that I have never saw you as a replacement of your mother. There was a time when I loved her deeply, but that time was long gone. This might not be something you wish to hear me say, but in the beginning I thought you were very similar to Angelica, but the more I got to know you, the more you surprised me. Gabriel, my love, you are beautiful inside and out, you are unfathomable, and I love you just the way you are.

Gabriel stopped reading and clenched the paper in his hands. Victor's words were paining and thrilling at the same time. Young man's heart was beating faster as he re-read the words of love that Victor carefully confessed on paper. The lights in the room dimmed and Gabriel rushed to light another candle. He sat closer to the light and continued reading.

Many times, you have asked me what was happening, but each time I promised to tell you later. Now realize that for your own safety, I cannot keep this a secret any longer. The following lines will not come easy to me, but you must know. Not so long ago, it came to my attention that I am being targeted.

Gabriel gritted his teeth.

I have asked an acquittance of mine to investigate this matter, and he confirmed my suspicions.

"Victor..." Gabriel whispered. There were too many questions running through his head; Gabriel never felt this helpless.

At first, it was not my intention to have you departed, the mere thought of it was unacceptable. The situation changed abruptly. Gabriel, for your own safety I have made this decision for both of us. I do not allow myself the thoughts of something happening to you because of our proximity. There are only three people aware of where you are: yourself, Hughes, and me. Hughes is the only person I trust wholeheartedly he is completely loyal to me, which means he is completely loyal to you. If you ever need anything, let Hughes be the first one you ask.

The new chapter in your life is about to start, Gabriel. I want you to enjoy it, I want you to experience it. I ask of you not reveal unnecessary information about yourself and not to get close to anyone until the situation is resolved. Consider it my selfish request. Do not seek a meeting with me, when the time is right, I will come to see you. This I promise you, my love. Should you wish to write to me, you will find an address at the bottom of this letter. The addressee Dr A. H. is an old acquittance of mine, he will collect my correspondence and hand it over to me.

Gabriel, there are so many more words unspoken between. Our relationship started with violence and assault and I never imagine that we would ever be able to step over the past, but you proved me wrong. My sweet Gabriel...there is nothing more I want than for you to be happy.