Chapter Twenty-One: Goodbye

"Is everything ready?" Victor marched into the kitchen knocking down a chair on his way. Hughes bowed at the sight of his master.

"Yes sir. All the preparations were finalized."

"And Gabriel?"

Hughes fell into a thoughtful silence before replying. "Young Lord still have not come downstairs," he said avoiding Victor's gaze. Victor ran his hand through his long hair, his eyes narrowed.

"Continue as you were, I will bring Gabriel downstairs."

"Yes, sir."

***

Gabriel waited. He knew Victor would come sooner than later and he was not mistaken. The door burst open and his dark-haired lover stormed in like a fresh summer breeze. Gabriel glanced at Victor; his big blue eyes as expressive as always.

"You were expecting me," said Victor.

Gabriel crossed his arms on his chest and tilted his head lightly to a side.

"I knew you would not wait."

"Everything is ready." Victor said standing in front of the young Lord.

"I do not want to leave," said Gabriel.

"You are not leaving forever. Once your studies are over, you will come back." Victor replied. *Giving me plenty of time to deal with the situation.* "I will come to see you," he added.

Gabriel stood up and smiled. "You are lying Victor." He walked to the window and looked outside. A beautiful carriage was ready. Hughes was talking to the coachman, probably giving him precise instructions for the journey. The day was cloudy, and Gabriel kept catching distant sounds of thunder. "But I will believe you." he turned around abruptly and wrapped his arms around Victor's body. Young man leaned in resting his head on his lover's wide chest. Victor hugged him back. His strong arms made Gabriel feel secure.

Victor rested his chin on Gabriel's head. The scent of the young man was tickling his nostrils making him want to push him down on the floor and have him without a single thought. Victor closed his eyes and resisted. The day has finally come when he had to say goodbye to his lover. The feelings he experienced could not be described in a single sentence. The sadness, the pain, the desperation were tearing him apart. His grip around the blonde tightened. The animal inside him was crying. But Victor controlled himself.

"I want you to have everything you want." he finally said. "I will make sure you have it all. Be it books, money, education. I will give you everything."

"I want to be with you." Gabriel said.

"And you will be." Victor replied. "After your education ends. We will be together...always."

Gabriel pushed himself away from his lover and without a word picked up his bag.

"Wait," Victor grabbed his arm gently to stop him. He took a step closer, his chest touching Gabriel's back. Young man could feel the strong heat coming from his lover. Much stronger than usual. Victor kissed the back of his head. "There is something I want you to have." he took a package out of the inner pocket of his jacket and handed it to his lover. "Open it when you reach the destination and remember...I love you more than anything in this world. You are my world."

Gabriel's heart clenched. He wanted to turn away and say something but before he could Victor gently pushed him to the door. "Do not look back." he whispered, giving Gabriel's shoulders a final squeeze. "Now go. Go!"

Gabriel ran out of the room clenching Victor's gift in his hand. He stormed down the stairs and out of the house.

Hughes looked at the young man. Everything was so clearly written on his face. The butler bowed and opened the carriage door. Gabriel got inside and sat by the window. He wanted to cry from the overbearing pain, but he did not. Hughes gave the coachman final instruction and got inside the carriage with his young master. The door closed and the carriage made its away from the mansion.

A loud heartbreaking howl made Gabriel jump up and stick his head out of the window. His heart clenched making breathing hard and painful. Another wave of howling followed. The traumatized beast inside his lover was finally released.

"Stop...stop the carriage," Gabriel yelled, but Hughes shook his head.

"Young Lord...please," his eyes pleaded. Gabriel looked at him with desperation in his eyes. One final time he stuck his head out of the window, catching a final glimpse of the mansion. A tear escaped his eye. Gabriel closed his eyes and let the wind carry away the evidence of his sadness.