Chapter Seventeen: Time

The name was only known to the members. Even after centuries nobody managed to find out the composition of the 'secret society'. Truly little literature was written in relation and even less was available for analysing. All that was known was that these mysterious people practiced magic. Black magic. From the few documents that were saved and passed on for centuries, it could be concluded that the society held a 'Séance' every second month of the year. The total of six Séances per annum was held in a place that only the members of the society were aware of. It was said that during the Séance they have contacted the spirits of the dead, but nobody knew the truth about the Séances.

The last records of the 'secret society' were made in the early 1600th by a young scholar who disappeared soon after he passed the envelope with his observations to his close friend. The name of the 'friend' remained unknown to the history; in the later documentations he was regarded as Cepheus.

The young scholar who disappeared was Cepheus' close friend, and soon after receiving the envelope and reading a long-detailed letter, Cepheus started keeping records of the strange happenings that occurred in the city. It did not take long to find a distinctive connection: all the people who disappeared were young men with golden or platinum locks, blue eyes and slim built. According to the witnesses all victims disappeared in the evening. Ranks did not matter. Be it a labourer or a gentleman, a noble or beggar as long as the victim fit the image.

Cepheus spent years collecting the minimum information he could find. He travelled around the country, visiting cities, towns, and villages. People were reluctant to speak. The outsider triggered their interest but not many dared to speak their minds. Those few who agreed, did not say a lot, but it was enough for Cepheus to connect his speculations.

Before his death Cepheus sealed his work and hid it where he believed no one would be able to find it. Cepheus never got married and did not lead an active physical lifestyle, thus he did not have a successor who could accept and continue his dangerous work. Only once in his lifetime Cepheus managed to come extremely close to revealing the truth...but his hard work was not rewarded. The truth slipped away with the speed of light.

After the death of Cepheus, the 'secret society' was forgotten.

***

Year 18**, somewhere in England

***

...Somewhere, far away...a group of strangers in black robes lead a ritual in the darkness of the cave. No words were spoken between the members, yet everyone knew their role. On a large cold stone lit by candles, lay a beautiful young man with hair of platinum. His eyes were open but empty, no reflection on his handsome face. He was a doll, emotionless and cold, ready to accept his fate that was held in the hands of unknown strangers...

At last they have made an appearance. The secret society was finally back.

***

Three months later

Victor was late.

Gabriel sat in their bedroom with a book opened in front of him, but his mind was elsewhere. Young man could not concentrate on the words he was reading. For the past week Victor kept coming later and later every evening and that worried Gabriel. Whenever he asked his lover where he went, Victor would gently but firmly brush it off or change the subject and each time Gabriel submitted to him with ease, but not that night.

Finally, young man closed the book, stood up and walked downstairs straight into the kitchen. To his surprised nobody was there, he sighed and sat down, he took one of the shortbread cakes from the table and nibbled on it, but he was not hungry. Oscar, who was following young man's every step, looked at him with pleading eyes begging for a treat. Gabriel laughed lightly and offered the dog his shortbread. Oscar sniffed the offering and hurried to eat it. Gabriel stroked his soft fur enjoying the calming feeling that was quickly spreading around his body.