Chapter Five: The book dealer

Victor pushed his hat over his eyes and walked down a busy street. He was dressed way too plainly to be recognised by anyone, so he blended in with the crowd perfectly. He turned to the left into a narrow street. There were almost no shops and no people there and only a bunch of kids were playing outside a small candy shop. He turned to the left again and followed the familiar pathway. Victor finally stopped. He stood opposite a small wooden door. The doorway was too short for him, so Victor bent down before he knocked and entered.

An old man who sat on a chair at an old table with a book opened in front of him, looked up. His heavy eyelids twitched, and a wrinkly face was lightened by a smile.

"My Lord."

"Mister Jones," Victor bowed lightly and took off his hat, allowing his black hair to fall on his shoulders. "Call me Victor, please."

"Ho ho ho," Mr Jones stood up and put out a chair for Victor. "I have some fresh milk, please have a sit."

Victor did not object because he knew that it was pointless. Old man was known to always do as he pleased.

"Thank you." he said and sat down on the offered chair. Victor looked around the small room, nothing changed in there for the past ten years. It was still messy and full of old used books that this old man collected. It was supposed to be a bookstore, but this old man had a very hard time selling the books. It was not that there were no customers; the old man was just very picky in choosing them. If he didn't like someone or thought that they will not take good care of the books they are purchasing, he would never sell even a single piece of paper.

"Mister Jones, did you manage to get your hands on the books I've asked for?" Victor questioned.

The old man put a glass of fresh milk in front of him.

"Oh yes, yes, they arrive yesterday." He looked through the pile of books on the table and put aside five volumes. "Justine" by Marquis de Sade, "The last of the Mohicans" by Cooper, "The palace of pleasure" by James Henry Leigh, "The Unfortunate Traveller" by Nashe, it was hard to get my hands on that one I tell you...and," the old man looked thoughtful for a moment before continuing, "Robison Crusoe" by Defoe. Some quality books you have ordered there." He laughed and placed the pile in front of Victor. A small smile played on Victor's lips as he touched the volumes with his hand covered with a black leather glove.

"Yes." Victor stood up and placed a small silky bag full of gold sovereigns on the table. He picked up the books and put his hat back on. "Thank you for the books." he made his way to the door when the old man called him back.

"Master, there's too much money in that bag," he said seriously. Old man opened the bag and took out five coins. "Take the rest. I don't like being overpaid for my work."

Victor smiled.

"Mister Jones, you never change." He said but did not take the money. He bowed ever so lightly and quickly exited the shop.

"MASTER!" Mister Jones yelled but Victor was already gone.

***

Victor entered the mansion. Hughes met his master with a respectful bow and greeting. "Welcome back, master." He said.

"Where's Gabriel?" Victor questioned throwing his long jacket into Hughes's arms.

"Young Lord is in the garden." Hughes replied.

Victor thought for a moment. "Did anything happen while I was away?" he questioned. "Did he try to escape?"

Hughes shook his head. "No, he did not. I showed him the way to the library, which he seemed to like a lot, and then young Lord wished to see the garden, where I left him in peace. He did pick out a book to read, so I assume that he is still in the garden reading it."