Chapter Twenty-Two: Departure

The carriage ride was long and tiring. Gabriel tried to rest, but his thoughts kept going back to Victor. Heart breaking howling still rang in his ears, eating away his heart. Gabriel took out the package Victor gave him, feeling comforting warmth coming from it. His fingers tightened around the present as if trying to extract as much soothing from it as possible. His heart kept beating fast. "Open it when you reach the destination" Victor's words rang in his mind. Gabriel touched the package with his lips and hid it in his pocket. If Victor requested it to be opened later, there must have been a reason and Gabriel was not going to disobey.

Young man closed his eyes trying to fall asleep. The imagine of Victor invaded his mind causing tightness in his chest and limbs. Victor's eyes, his thick black hair, his strong body which wrapped around his so many times that Gabriel lost count. "Victor..." he mouthed before drifting into troubled sleep.

Hughes opened his eyes and looked at the young Lord. Gabriel's eyelashes trembled; his hand clenched the pocked where he hid the master's gift. Hughes allowed himself a quiet sigh. The butler rested both hands on his lap and continued looking at the young Lord, who kept mumbling the name of his master in depth of his sleep. *I have always believed in you Master*, he thought *I pray to the Lord that you know what you are doing right now too*. Before Hughes could feel the burning shame of doubting his Master, the butler fell asleep.

***

Victor Cabrera stood by the window in his bedroom and distantly looked into the darkness of the night. His dark eyes dulled with sorrow. The room was dark and cold, but Victor did not feel anything. Gabriel was gone so there was no need for the warmth of the fireplace, there was no need for light, no need for food. The need to live was suddenly overcome by distinctive feeling of despair. Victor slowly inhaled and exhaled, allowing the thoughts to settle in his head. His body was tense like a string on a violin. His hands grabbed onto his arms, as he tried to maintain composure. His nails extended turning into claws, piercing his skin, but Victor did not budge. The claws cut as well as a sharpened knife. The smell of blood filled the room and tickled his nostrils. Blood sipped into his shirt and dripped on the floor. In the dead silence of the room, he could hear each drop hit the floor. Victor growled lowly and leaned his forehead on the window. Cold glass brought an unexpected feeling of coolness.

"Gabriel."

***

Gabriel's eyes shot opened as he sat up straight in his seat. His heart was beating fast, threatening to break through his ribcage. Victor's voice kept ringing in his ears, calling out to him. Gabriel looked around. Hughes was soundlessly asleep on the opposite seat. The clatter of horseshoes on the ground was soothing as the carriage moved forward. Gabriel fell back on the seat hiding his face in his hands. "It was just a dream," he whispered. Gabriel clenched his fists, causing the knuckles to turn white. *I must keep calm. * he thought squeezing Victor's gift. Suddenly he felt like he could not wait any longer to open the package. His throat dried as he brought it closer to his face, studying the wrapping. Gabriel swallowed and pulled the string. It landed on his knees, with shaky hands Gabriel started to unwrap the package. Suddenly, the carriage bumped over something causing Gabriel to drop the package on the floor.

Hughes woke up and looked at the young Lord. Gabriel felt a burning blush creep on his cheeks. He picked up the gift and hid it in his pocket, firmly determined to open it as soon as they arrive at the destination.

"Young Lord," Hughes straightened up in his seat. "Can I get you anything?"

Gabriel shook his head. "No, thank you." His heartbeat was slowly returning to the normal pace.

"Young Lord, I apologize if it is not my place to say, but Master Victor only wants what is best for you." Hughes said. "And he always keeps his promises." He added quietly.

"I know Hughes," they sat in silence for a short while. "Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that you are coming with me,"

Hughes bowed his head lightly to Gabriel's comment.

"I just," Gabriel pushed the hair out of his face. "I knew it will be difficult...going away, but I have never imagined it to be so complicated. I feel like there is a battle of contradictory feelings going on inside me. A different battle in mind and in heart." He sighed. "I am continuously fighting the urge to stop the coachman and ask him to go back. I am willing to walk there if I have to. But at the same time, I know I need to trust Victor's decision. I just wish," Gabriel stammered, "I just wish he would explain the situation."

Gabriel looked at Hughes apologetically. He did not mean to pour his worries on the butler, but once he started, he felt like he needed to get it off his chest. Hughes slowly nodded to Gabriel's speech.

"We will be arriving to Ackerville town shortly, where you will be able to have a proper rest while coachman will manage the horses."

"Will Ackerville be our only stop?"

"It will be our only stop where you will have the chance to have a proper rest. After Ackerville, we will only stop to allow horses to rest prior to our arrival at the destination."

Gabriel nodded.

*Everything is going to be fine; I am sure. Victor, please keep your promise.*

***

A knock on the door was quiet, but he heard it.

"Come in." his hoarse voice sounded angrier than he intended.

A small figure slipped into the room.

"Master," the maid bowed. Her gaze fell upon the mess in the room and dried out blood stains on the floor and on her master. A chill ran down her spine. "Doctor Harrington has arrived." She informed and waited for her master's response.

Victor stood up and stretched. His bones clicked loudly sending a shiver down the maid's spine.

"Escort him to the library. I will meet him there shortly."