Chapter Six: Monster

A knock on the door brought him back to reality. Victor looked up and voiced for the person to enter. A maid walked in and placed a tray with tea and afternoon snacks on the table in front of her master.

"You may leave," said Victor. The maid bowed and rushed to leave. Even though she worked for this household for a year, she still felt uncomfortable being alone with the master. There was something in his aura that made her want to stay away from him.

Victor drank the tea slowly. His mind was occupied with Gabriel. It has been a week since Gabriel entered the Cabrera mansion. During the week – nothing changed. Gabriel tried to avoid him as much as possible and when he could not, he remained silent, and only spoke when he was asked to. Gabriel spent most of his time in the garden with Jeremy, and Victor's frustration just grew. Sometimes he would watch the two from the window of his study. The lively Gabriel was not a casual sight for Victor. In fact, Gabriel was quieter than a mouse when they were alone together.

"Frustrating," Victor clenched the papers on his table and threw them aside. He rested his forehead on his hand. His temples were pulsating, and head felt like it was going to explode. The bones ached as if someone was slowly breaking them. Victor took a deep breath. Sweat droplets appeared on his forehead. Victor knew what it meant. It happened to him a little more frequently than every month; a little more often than twelve times a year, it happened to him every time the Moon was directly opposite from the Sun, every time there was a full moon.

The pain increased and Victor grabbed himself by the throat. Those were the first symptoms informing him that the time of the transformation was quickly approaching.

"HUGHES!" he roared loudly.

***

Gabriel shivered. He could swear that he heard Victor screaming for Hughes. But as quickly as the sound came, as quickly it disappeared. He looked up at the windows of Victor's study and felt a breath get stuck in his throat. Victor's gaze was glued to Gabriel. Even from the distance his piercing black eyes managed to send shivers down Gabriel's spine. He turned away but quickly looked up again; Victor was gone. Gabriel was taken aback.

"Is everything alright?" asked Jeremy as he put his hand on Gabriel's shoulder.

"Yes. Sorry, I was just thinking."

***

"Prepare everything for tonight." Victor groaned in pain. Hughes placed morphine on table in front of Victor.

"What should I tell Young Lord Gabriel if he asks where you are?"

"Nothing. He won't ask." Victor replied. *He doesn't care.*

***

Gabriel

Large dining room felt empty. I ate alone in silence. Even the maids made their way out of the room as if fearing that I was going to ask questions. I felt despair. It was not because the master of the mansion was not there, but because I still could not get used to my new life. Everybody was friendly and helpful, but if not for Jeremy I am afraid I would go completely insane. Even the people who love solitude would go insane without human interactions.

I glanced at Victor's chair. Although I have already healed, Victor did not try to force me again. Every evening he would sit in the black armchair and call me towards him. He would put me on his lap, making me face him. I always try to look away, but he holds my face in place and kisses me. His kisses are different from the first time he assaulted me. They became somewhat gentle. At least that is what I wanted to believe. We would sit like that for a while. He would kiss my face, my eyes, my cheeks, my ears. I heard him inhaling my scent which made me wonder if I smelled bad.

I took another bite of the chicken and glanced at Victor's chair again. I could not help but wonder where he was. Something kept worrying me. I chocked on my food and started coughing. Hughes rushed into the dining room to assist me. It always amazed me how Hughes was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. It is like he knew when he was needed and knew when he should disappear.

"Hughes," I said quietly. "Where is...Master Victor?" I questioned looking straight into his eyes, so he would not be able to lie to me or change the topic.

"Master is currently out of the household." He replied shortly. "Is the supper to your taste?"

"Yes. Everything is wonderful as always." I replied.

"Mary will be glad to hear that." Hughes noticed.

"When will he be back?" I did not give up.

"Master will be back shortly. He did not inform me when exactly he will return." Hughes was as perfect as always.

I let out a sigh. Questioning any further seemed pointless.

Victor was close and I could feel that. A sudden image of Master Victor kissing my inner hand appeared in my mind. I looked down at my hands and blushed. It was embarrassing and shameful. Something like the love between two men was strange. It was wrong. It went against everything I believed in, my morals and dreams.

As I walked up the stairs to the bedroom I shared with the master of this house, my mind kept working furiously. There was something wrong. I could sense it, but I did not understand what it was.

"Sherry, what day is it today?" I asked one of the maids I met on my way.

"Lord Gabriel today is Tuesday."

"Is there anything special today?"

"You mean like a celebration?"

"Yes...or any other event. Anything at all."

She thought for a moment, furrowing her forehead.

"No," she replied.

"Is that so..." I mumbled. "Well thank you." I smiled and walked past.

"Oh..." she mumbled. I turned around abruptly.

"Yes?"

"Jeremy said that today is full moon." She said.

"Full moon?"

She nodded eagerly.

"Thank you, Sherry."

*Full moon.*

It told me nothing. I quickly changed into my sleeping clothes and climbed into the large bed. I got under the covers, but it still felt unbelievably cold. I tossed and turned trying to warm up, but the process was slow. When he was here, it was never cold; the abnormal heat that always came from his body was enough to warm up the bed and myself. I curled into a ball and closed my eyes. It was funny how I never thought about this before but...for the first time after being brought into this household I felt lonely.

***

Victor

The pain was overwhelming. I opened my mouth just to release another silent animal roar. Tears mixed with sweat and saliva. It dribbled down my chest and on the floor. It was all over my arms and legs. My muscles contracted causing greater pain. My screams echoed in the large basement, but I knew that none of them would get out. Nobody would be able to hear them.

I scratched the floor with my hands trying to release some tension. The nails broke instantly, and fingers started bleeding, leaving bloody trails on the floor. The smell of my own blood drove me insane. I howled.

I have been through this transformation so many times in my long life, but my body never got used to it.

My flesh ripped apart as long black fur grew. My teeth fell out being replaced by an animal jaw full of deadly sharp fangs.

"Graaahhh...arghhh...arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh." The pain indulged me.

I stood on the back paws and howled as I ripped the flesh on my chest to pieces. Blood splashed over the floor as pieces of flesh fell down. I ran around the cage, I bit the metal, breaking my fangs, making my gums bleed. I tried to rip the metal bars, but I could not. My head was spinning as I hit the floor with my gigantic hands.

"Aaaaaaaaa...aaaaa...." I was a wounded animal crying in agony.

My sanity was quickly fading due to the pain. My sighed dulled as my body finally turned into a monster.