Nessa

Its been a few weeks since Fiyero asked Elphaba to marry him, they put the wedding off because I got worse.
It's always my fault that things mess up.
It's raining outside, it pounds on the window as if someone was throwing rocks at it.
The room feels so cold, probably due to the rain.
I've been doing that a lot lately, thinking critically about really simple things because nothing seems to be simple anymore.
I feel a lot better than I did, I still get cute a lot of headaches but I just have to power through, as Fiyero says.

Someone knocks on the door, I tilt my head and push myself around to face the door.
"Come in," I call, the door opens slowly, Boc steps in awkwardly, he's wearing a strange dark blue suit.
The weddings not today so I'm unsure of why he's wearing it.
Not saying that my outfit is any better, I'm wearing a simple dark, green, velvet dress with long sleeves.
Boc turn away suddenly and mumbles something.
"I can't hear you," I laugh softly.
Boc blushes and turns to me, he jerks forward suddenly.
"There's people playing music in the town square, want to listen?" He asks suddenly.
I haven't been into town since we got here, I don't think it would be taken well.
"Boc, I..."
"Please," he says desperately "if anything happens we can come back."
His eyes are kind and plead silently with me, as scared as I am to go out, it would be rude not to go.
"Sure, why not" I say calmly "just let me talk with Elphaba."
Boc nods and steps aside from the door, I push myself past him and along the corridor until I make it to the lounge.

Elphaba and Glinda are both sat on the floor, each of them surrounded by about a hundred different fabrics.
Pinks, blues, yellows and greens.
Dotty, striped and floral.
They are all beautiful.
"Hey Nessa," Glinda chirps looking up at me, a measuring tape is around her shoulders "how are you feeling?"
I smile brightly,
"Good, Elphaba can I ask you something?" I turn to my sister, who immediately puts down the piece of light blue silk she's holding and walks over to me.
"Anything, as long as I can ask you something."
I let my question roll around in my head for a moment before asking it, I have a tendency to mispronounce my words when I get flustered.
"Boc has asked me to go into town with him, can I go?"
Elphaba looks at Glinda, who's just started looking at the bit of silk that Elphie put down,
"Ooh, the music in the square is so wonderful!" She cries.
Elphaba folds her arms, but smiles softly.
"It's raining." Elphaba says bluntly.

I glance over at Glinda and stare helplessly at her, hoping she will persuade Elphaba otherwise.
Glinda smiles and winks at me, then stands up and walks calmly over to Elphaba and places her arm smoothly around her shoulder,
"There's a gazebo up, she won't get wet."
I grin at Glinda, but Elphie crouches down protectively at me feet.
"You will still get wet on the way, you've just started getting better and I don't want you catching a cold."
I turn myself around, slightly angry at my sister for not agreeing.
"Then I'll just bring a blanket." I say hurriedly, pushing myself out into the hallway before Elphaba even has a chance to answer.
Boc is standing there waiting for me,
I gesture towards a drawer by the door.
"We can go now, I just need you to get me a blanket from inside the drawer."

It's honestly not as cold as I planned it to be and the rain isn't as heavy as it sounded on the window, Boc made a big deal that he should push me, rather than me doing it myself.
I didn't bother trying to argue with him.
Every so soften someone will give me a dirty look and whisper.
I feel so uncomfortable but Boc just tells me to ignore it.
After a while we get to the centre of town, there's beautiful music playing and lots of children are dancing and clapping along to the songs.
Boc stands around awkwardly not knowing what to do at first, I notice him tapping is foot in time and I unintentionally start tapping my fingers on my arm rests.
Boc coughs slightly and steps over to the front of the chair.
"Miss Nessarose," he says strangely "would you honour me with a dance?"
A dance?
"Boc what are you doing?" I whisper awkwardly, clutching the arm rests.
"Nessa that night at OzDust, it truly meant something to me, though there were no romantic feelings I had one of the best nights of my life."
His words tickle my head, I feel myself begin to smile, I can't help it.
"Nessa, as one of my best friends, will you dance with me?"
I look around for an escape.
I can't, it doesn't feel right.
Dancing with him was what got me obsessed, the thing that started my spiral into dictatorship.
No I'm lying to myself, as much as I hate to say it, it was father that started that, he gave me false expectations of myself and my life and I took out my frustration on Boc, the only Boy who had shown me interest, I truly believed he was the one.

"Boc," I say suddenly, "of course I'll dance with you!"
Boc beams with delight and rushes behind my chair, pushing me into the middle of the dancing crowd, a few people stop and stare but I couldn't care less, as Boc spins me around I truly feel like I've made it up to him, like a new person.
I truly feel like this was supposed to happen and that everything is finally getting back on track.
I hear whispers all around me, some sound concerned and other sound angry.
But I don't care, all I can think about is.
Dancing.