Chapter 29: Julian Magnicus of The Empire

Her big beautiful eyes stared right into to his. Was it fear, or had she accepted her faith? Julian wondered. She didn't resist at all, she just stood there, in the centre of the room, watching as Julian held the knife at her throat.

Her eyes were begging him. Were they begging for mercy, or did she beg for him to finish it quickly? He took his time as everyone in the room watched him with anticipation. They were completely focused on him. No one said a word. It was so silent he could hear her heart beating.

Such a gentle soul she was. So beautiful, long slim, golden-brown hair, skin white as milk, she could not have been more than eighteen years old. He had her the night before, without realising what was demanded of him the day after. She hadn't said a word, perhaps she didn't know his language, or perhaps she was forbidden to speak.

But still... Oh, so gentle she and so lovely she was the night before, she must have been the most beautiful girl I ever had. Julian thought while sighing. But it was required of him, his father had told him this morning. "No man that hasn't completed the ritual has been allowed to leave The Centre, the room where the meeting took place or never shall be. Not even Magnus himself had that privilege." He knew what that meant. If he didn't kill this girl, he himself would be killed in her stead.

Julian cried as he stroked her hair. Is it love I feel? He couldn't tell. He had never known love and probably never will. He had always doubted its existence, but now he wasn't certain. He looked down on the ground. He couldn't face her begging eyes anymore. She wasn't even resisting, so innocent she was. This is so wrong! But I must do it!

Gently he pressed the sharp blade at the skin on her throat. No! I can't be a coward for not facing her! I take her life, at least I must witness it, I can't look away like a coward! He raised his glance into her large blue lovely eyes again, while touching her chin. "I am sorry!" He said while slowly slitting her throat.

She didn't even look surprised, shocked or angry, she just looked sad.

He looked into those magical eyes one last time before they were closed forever. Blood was pouring out her throat, yet she remained calm. Her eyes suddenly lost life, Julian could see it. I wonder what her thoughts were. Does she hate me?

After a few seconds, her eyes closed completely, and she fell to the floor. Julian did his best to suppress his tears. He barely managed. He got startled as he suddenly heard a loud clapping from a man standing up in front of his chair that rather looked like a throne. And so did all the chairs in The Centre, they were positioned in a circle for everyone to face one another.

"We welcome our new brother!" The man said as he kept clapping slowly while approaching Julian. "Julian Magnicus welcome! Through this ritual, we made a bond lasting for eternity."

The man leaned down to soak his finger in the blood of the dead woman. He rose and made some markings on Julian's forehead and cheeks. "Now the world belongs to you!" He gently put one of his hands on Julian's shoulders. "You will keep the dagger, it's a souvenir from this moment. But first..." The man pulled a similar dagger from his belt and made a slight cut in his right palm.

Julian understood that he was supposed to do the same, and so he did. After that, the man shook his hand, mixing their blood.

"Now you share the same blood as me and all your brothers!" The man declared. He let go of Julian's hand and let the blood drip down to the floor. Julian followed the drops of blood as they touched the floor. Then he saw, in the middle of the floor was a painting, two snakes circling each other, biting the tails.

"Now, take your seat next to your father." The man pointed with his bloodied hand to the only empty chair in the room. "Your brothers will introduce themselves shortly."