Chapter 9: Julian Magnicus of The Empire

If your brain is stupid, your body will suffer. Aldus had just woken up with a massive headache and a sense of depression. The words of his master at arms, Sir Harris, echoed in his head. "If your brain is stupid, your body will suffer."

Yet it had never stopped Aldus from his wild drinking until late in the morning. Before moving to the Capital, it was the only thing he ever did in Morgsdale, he and his gang of lesser nobility.

His father had always complained, demanded of him to change his life and contribute to something. "Exemplify your noble blood!" Charles schooled him. "Continue on this path and life will turn on you!"

How could Aldus take it seriously? Being a son of the impossibly powerful Lord Protector of the South, Charles Morg, what problems could he possibly encounter in life?

Aldus turned around in his bed. He didn't dare to open his eyes, afraid of what he would find next to him. To his surprise, there was nobody there. That was strange. Had he really found nobody from last night's feast to share his bed?

He slowly raised himself up, calling for a servant to bring him wine.

The door to his room opened.

"Yes, my lord." There was not a servant who came through the door, it was a squire, a young teenager.

"Who are you? Have you gotten a new job?" Aldus laughed at the squire.

"Sir, I am your squire! My name is-:"

"Where are my servants?" Aldus interrupted the squire.

"They are--"

"Nah... Never mind, I don't care." Aldus interrupted him once more. "Find me some wine, will you?" Aldus believed that wine was the only thing that could ease his hangovers.

"Right away my lord!" The squire said, slamming the door as he was rushing out of the room.

Aldus felt his sore feet as he jumped out of bed. He looked out of the window, trying to spot the sun. Is it breakfast or lunch now? He wondered.

The squire came back, rushing through the door with an unopened bottle in his hand. He handed it over to Aldus.

Aldus glanced at the bottle before he turned his tired eyes towards the squire.

"Aaaaand." Aldus said.

"What my lord?" The squire was more than confused by his remark.

"Are you expecting me to open it myself?"

"Forgive me, my lord!" The squire apologised.

Things here and there fell to the floor, as the squire's butterfingers were searching through shelves and drawers in pursuit of a tool to open the bottle.

Aldus yawned loudly while walking to his jacket. He thoroughly searched it and felt something in the right pocket.

"Here here!" He shouted towards the squire.

The squire immediately stopped searching and rushed towards Aldus. He grabbed the opener from Aldus's hand and fumbled with the bottle

"You are really an intense one!" Aldus said. "Relax, I am not in a hurry anywhere."

The squire did not answer; his attention was fully on opening the bottle.

Aldus snatched the bottle out of the squire's hands. In a matter of seconds, he got the cork out, throwing it out of the window.

"Did you bring a glass?" Aldus asked.

The squire shook his head. "I am sorry, my lord. I thought you already had one by your bed!"