Chapter 14: Aldus Morg of The Empire

Lit up by the light from the moon, even the largest buildings appeared minor, from the top of Magnus keep. It had been built on the highest cliff in the city. First, it was only a chapel, the first one ever built, but a few centuries later, the great keep of Magnus was built around it. Although it was a matter of debate, whether the chapel had been built inside the keep or the keep built around the chapel. None remembers it all happened some millennia ago.

In the yard, outside the chapel, stood a statue of Magnus. In his full armour, he pointed down towards the centre of Avenheim. According to the legends, he had said. "Here! The city will lie!"

Aldus himself was now standing by the feet of that same statue. There he had found Marseile, sitting in a full lotus position, with his great golden coated marshal sword resting on his lap.

"I never took you for a man of meditation." He said, curious by his finding. The Templars were known to outlaw anything foreign. "Eastern meditation... Isn't that heresy... As you say for everything?"

Aldus awaited a response, but none came. Marseile did not move, nor did he answer.

"I mean for me... I don't care if it would be." Aldus continued as he felt awkward. He had wanted to meet with Marseile, to get more information of Leland Ambeder's death in their dungeon. But more importantly, he had heard rumours that his beloved little brother, Cedric, had been involved with Leland somehow. The fact that Cedric had disappeared in connection to Leland's arrest didn't help to quench the rumours either. Aldus knew, if his family is involved in the murder, their enemies would come for him, even he had nothing to do with it. He just hoped he was informed enough to navigate through all this turmoil Leland's death had created.

The happening was on top of everyone's agenda. Wilfred himself had gotten infuriated beyond belief. After finding several strange bruises on Leland's corpse, Wilfred had claimed that Leland had been severely abused. In addition, the marks from the snare that allegedly Leland had used for his suicide didn't seem to match the snare, spymaster Didrick had told Wilfred. Naturally, Wilfred had condemned the Church and the Templars at the high court. Although he didn't dare to go so far as to accuse them of right out murdering Leland. But now, this morning, words had reached the Capital that Brad Ambeder had taken action into his own hands. He had closed down all Church and Templar business, prosecuting priests and templars within his lands. Grand Marshal Alois and Supreme Cardinal Gilles were now riding to meet with him, hoping to resolve the situation. "A foolish ploy from their part!" Dale had said to him while sharing the news. "What do they expect will happen? Perhaps Brad will take the opportunity to arrest them as well." It was an amusing thought. Although, it would leave all the power of the Templars to the man sitting just five meters away from him.

"You of all should know better than that." Marseile said, looking down over the city. "My mind is at discord with itself, the path is not clear to me..." He slowly got up on his feet, keeping his sight on the city. "You requested an audience?"

"Well audience is rather for Kings and Emperors, I believe." Aldus said, stepping closer to Marseile.

Once again, Marseile did not leave him any reply.

"In contrast to your Grand Marshal, I have always considered you being a practical man." Aldus continued. "Most of all, you work in the shadows, discreetly."

Marseile turned around, facing Aldus with an empty face. "Yeah, and what is that to you?"

Aldus smiled right at him. He disliked the man. He knew the type, utmost righteous and arrogant. Should be impossible to cooperate with, but he was ambitious enough to be useful if you play them right.