Chapter 22: Alden Mandos of The Empire

In the shape of a half-moon, the council of the Knowledge guild was seated, looking down from their high chairs, as they questioned Alden. They wanted to know everything about that day Wilfred, and he had investigated the scene of the mutilated corpses at the Western borders, next to the Dark Forest.

"You're certain the bodies were arranged in this shape?" An old man asked Alden, his face was decorated with neat pointy whiskers, he was dressed in blue and red robes. He showed Alden the painting he had drawn himself. "And these were the symbols carved in their skin?"

"I believe I am..." Alden nodded hesitantly. "Indeed."

Thomas was standing at his side, not saying a word. His eyes were fixed at someone sitting to Alden's right. He took no interest in the conversation at all.

"Everything seems aligned with his story, as we feared." Another old man in a chair declared to the rest of the council. The shadows from his hood partly covered his face.

"Yes, it's what we have known, Master Boda." Thomas suddenly shifted his focus back to his fellow masters of the order.

"So it is..." The masters mumbled.

"It's what we have feared ever since we received the reports from the West." Master Boda raised himself from his chair and descended the steps, walking towards Alden and Thomas. The sound of his steps echoed through the hollow tower room.

There was a moment of silence as Master Boda made his approach. Thomas had made a joke about how slowly the masters walked. Patience was a virtue almost as highly valued as wisdom, that's why they took everything slow. It was strange that punctuality was another of their highest virtues. Climbing all the stars of the Witnessing tower, which was rather an immense dome where all the council meetings took place, it must take them half an hour at least, and no one had ever been known to be late.

Thomas looked at him as he knew what he was thinking. "They are usually never in a hurry here." He whispered, smiling.

Master Boda heard it and laughed approvingly in response. And why would they? Alden thought. The Nero chapter was almost as immense as the palace itself. On each side of the wide centre hallway, leading to the Witnessing tower, there were many smaller paths, making up a labyrinth of quarters, designated for all kinds of academic subjects. Alchemy, history, philosophy, stone masonry, anything that you can think of, you could find an enormous hall dedicated to its study. The botanist quarters were a vast garden with all kinds of plants and flowers from all parts of the world. With its exotic flora, it was even more colourful than the palace garden.

"And your father..." Master Boda asked Alden during his approach.

"Rationality would explain it to be bandits..." Thomas took the words of Alden's mouth. "Worst case... Agents of a foreign power. Is it not?" He looked towards Alden for a reply.

"Just bandits?" Alden replied with a question.

"A rational conclusion for a rational man." A master, covered by shadows, shouted out in his elevated chair.

"Wilfred believes in nothing he can't see with his own eyes or touch with his own hands." Thomas said.

"He might not be wrong though." Master Boda said as he eyed Alden. "All we know is what this boy tells us."

Alden got frustrated by the way they talked. They were talking as he wasn't there, or they did not value him as a person.

"And reports from Lord Dan Morrowvale." Thomas filled in.

"Yes... The sources are plural. Although the patterns are inconsistent. These last findings are highly contradictory." Master Boda preached out. "There is more knowledge to be gathered. Can you invite your brother?"