Chapter 19: Sahej of The Great Sands

The white-skinned, blue-eyed devils stared at them, scanning them from top to toe. It was the first time Sahej had ever seen men from the notorious Empire. A continent far away, separated by hundreds of miles of ocean and a thousand miles of land.

"This is our most humble request." One of them said with a broken accent in the desert language. He bowed strangely. He was an agent of the feared order of Templar Magnicar. Avier Sitier was his name. If Sahej had understood it right, his accompanied men did not speak their language.

While Avier bowed, the rest of his men followed. "Our cooperation would bring significant benefits to us both." The agents of the Templar were dressed in black robes, their pale faces were lit up by the candle lights in the dark tomb. They had long light brown hair and their faces were covered with large beards. From the look on their harsh faces, Sahej could tell these were hard men, warriors with extensive experience. Their meeting took place in secret, in an abandoned tomb of a long-forgotten king of the desert, between the coastal city of Quandar and Pendal.

"Gold, gems and whatever." Tahej said mockingly. "What am I supposed to do with it? How will gold win me war?"

"My great Tahej, with gold you can trade whatever you need." Avier explained. "Soldiers, horses, weapons supplies, you name it!"

"It's much more practical to get gold..." Immadal, their captured spy whispered to Tahej's ear.

Tahej had taken quite a liking to the woman that Sahej had nearly executed and almost killed Tahej for refusing him to do so. He claimed that she was a valuable asset, as she had a great deal of knowledge regarding the coastal cities and the men residing within those walls. It was a knowledge the desert clans were lacking. Due to that fact, she had become close to an advisor to Tahej. He brought her wherever they went.

This time, Tahej ignored her words, however. "Why don't you just bring me all of those things directly. Why would I need to go through the trouble of getting it myself?" He told Avier.

"Would you prefer that?" Avier asked, looking confused. "In that case, name what you want and what number. If it's reasonable, we will give it to you. If you agree to the alliance."

Tahej laughed mockingly while walking around in the room. "Alliance you call it? We do all the fighting while you take cover behind your high walls, promising us worthless gold in return. Where are your warriors? Why don't you join us on the field?"

Avier did not flinch. "The Darma tribe comes for us all." He said while backing away one step. "We need our warriors to defend our cities. The question is, what would you lose on taking up my offer?"

Sahej ground his teeth. These dealings made him nervous. The white devils had mentioned they had already agreements with other Sashs but had refused to mention who. It disturbed Sahej beyond words. Perhaps some of the Sashs knew they would meet with them? Or maybe all the other had turned them down and the white devils had lied about it.

"Tell us now, who else have you talked to?" Sahej barked at Avier, before Tahej could answer.

Avier gave him a long and empty look.

"Tell us what my brother asks for, and we will agree." Tahej repeated the question.

Avier looked reluctant. He knew that if he would tell them which Sash; he was in cooperation with, and Tahej exposed them, they would be killed. Having any sort of agreement with their sworn enemies would mean immediate execution.

"If you agree, I will tell you how you can find it out." Avier said with hesitation in his voice.

Tahej turned around and looked towards Sahej for a sign whether he agreed. But Sahej just stared back with a tired look, telling him to do what he thought was best. Or so at least Sahej hoped he would interpret it that way.