Chapter 12: Wilfred Mandos of The Empire

Wilfred felt the fresh summer breeze welcoming him out on palace terrace. He gazed around at the mighty spires of Avenheim in awe. Tallest of them was the Purple spire, the highest tower of the palace. The polished purple stones reflected the sunlight right into his face. He stopped for a moment to feel it.

Many centuries ago, the finest of masons constructed the Purple spire as the rest of the Palace and Old Town. The knowledge of how to build such wonders was now lost to time. Wilfred always grieved himself over that fact, knowing that something would likely never be better, just as his life would be, in case Emma wouldn't wake up.

Wilfred walked back inside and scoured around the palace, hoping to find Alois around. But he was nowhere to be found, and no one knew where he was. He then decided to once again try his luck at Magnus keep. If Alois would not help him, perhaps his adjunct marshal, Marseile, could be of use. In addition, The Supreme Cardinal himself was said to be there. Perhaps he would prove to be a practical man, someone to negotiate with, doubtful though.

On his way, Wilfred cursed himself for not notifying Fredric off his plans. Although, he had ambivalent feelings towards raising the issue again. Last time Fredric had made it clear that he did not want to do anything that could displease The Supreme Cardinal. He was the one who would put the crown on Fredric's head after all.

Once he reached the gates at Magnus keep, he got welcomed in a much friendlier matter than last time. However, no person with authority was there. They all had left for the palace for a meeting with the foreign council.

Damn it all to hell! Wilfred felt the frustration overtaking him. They are just toying with me! Alois was nowhere to be found at the palace this morning! If he wasn't at the palace or here, where the hell was he?

The sleep deprivation made him dizzy and unable to focus, Sir Heim had to help across the grand streets of the Capital. Wilfred was so tired that he had lost the sense of direction. Sir Heim had in vain urged Wilfred to seek rest.

"I need to push through!" Wilfred had insisted. "There is only one matter to settle. They must release Leland! Now when I will become Chancellor and all. They can't afford to have an enemy like me!"

Just as Wilfred was ascending the first stairs after the palace entry gate, a familiar voice shouted at him. "Hey, You!"

As Wilfred turned around, he saw Aldus Morg approach him.

Aldus Morg, the infamously unreliable snake. He was everywhere and nowhere. During the War of Brothers, Wilfred accused him of conspiring against the throne with Maximillian. When the rebels got crushed, he claimed that he had all along acted as a spy for the loyalist. Wilfred had proof that wasn't the case however, he was close to taking Aldus head himself. But in the last moment, a courier handed him a message that swayed his decision. Wilfred had never disclosed the content of that letter and he hoped he never had to. The consequences would be dire for the Empire.

That was just one of many times Wilfred had dealt with the Morgs. He hated it. They only looked to themselves, even at the cost of the Empire. Unfortunately, they were too strong to get rid of.

Just as Aldus was ascending the stairs, Victoria came running behind him, shouting over Aldus towards Wilfred. "I have been looking all over for you!"

Wilfred could tell by the look on Aldus' face that his sister annoyed him. He did his best to hide it. He offered his arm for his sister to climb the stairs.

The Morg siblings were dressed in their ever more expensive clothing, always seeking attention. Aldus is almost king like a cloak, in white and red, and Victoria in her long blue dress, with long chains of pearls as a necklace. Their pale and mysterious eyes looked at Wilfred with anticipation of some sort.