Chapter 1: Wilfred Mandos of The Empire

Lord Wilfred Mandos, the protector of the Empire's Western borders, journeyed day and night once he received the words. "A brutal scene, all the victims' blood had been drained and splattered across the ground." Lord Dan's courier told him.

The Lords of the West had a particular interest in what happened around Westfort and Dark Forest. Nobody knew exactly what horrors were lurking in there, let alone the Scorched Lands. But it was a source of mysteries and fantasies, entertaining the entire Empire. For some, those were not fantasies, but most terrifying truths.

Wilfred arrived at the Lord Dan's Morrowvale camp, with a company of thirty riders and three knights, amongst them his oldest son and heir Alden.

Lord Dan had put up surrounding tents to guard the brutal scene. He did not want any civilians getting news of it. Further spreading rumours about the latest monstrosities roaming these lands. He had received Wilfred and Alden in person, but it was clear that he was in no mood for talking.

"Dear friend, it gladdens me deeply that you granted me my request." He said as Wilfred and Alden dismounted. "I regret, to once more, being the bearer of this sort of news."

"Thank you, my friend." Wilfred said humbly as he embraced Lord Dan. "I appreciate you are here in person to help us uncover this... Mysterious atrocity. Here, my son Alden. I bet you remember him since last time?"

Alden had now reached the age of eighteen. Being the son of a high lord, his parents had groomed him for governing since birth. It had made its mark, shaping his anguished looking face. Although, his humble ocean blue eyes balanced out the anguish with charm. He had left his golden-brown hair resting on the top of his tall and slender shoulders. He tried to put on a warm smile on his face.

Dan slowly approached him, eyeing Alden from top to toe. "Of course! He looks just like his father!" He embraced him with a firm, welcoming smile.

"Thank you, Lord Morrowvale." Alden said uncomfortably.

"Call me Dan!" He hugged Alden even harder. "No need for such formalities amongst us! We are basically family!"

Even though Lord Dan had pushed way above his fifties, he still kept a quick figure underneath his thick leather armour. On it was his house sigil, a lonely white mountain surrounded by green trees on a brown field. His eyes were devoid of life, bearing witness to a harsh past, filled with sorrows. His only son had died during the great civil war, The War of Brothers and his wife had joined shortly after.

Wilfred studied his son's reaction. He knew that Alden did not like people touching him; it had been like that ever since Alden had been a child. As soon as someone embraced him, he stiffened his entire body and later rejected them with a twitch. "A high lord can't resent the touch of other people." Wilfred had explained to his son so many times before. "High lords must appear warm and filled with emotions. Otherwise, they can never be loved or even related to. Your subjects will never accept a ruler they can't relate to. And men will never die for a Lord they don't love!"

Wilfred hoped Lord Dan would not notice Alden's uneasiness "Now then! Explain to me the situation. I just hope it is not as bad as your courier said it was."

Dan stepped away from Alden and told them about what had happened.

"Two nights ago, a merchant and his two partners asked for passage into the Scorched Lands." Lord Dan said, his voice filled with regret. "I gave him an escort of four men, to protect them from bandits. As he said he would be close to the Dark Forest."

Dan silenced for a moment and stepped away, scouting into the forest. "One man I gave him... Sean was his name... He was a real rock, careful and wise, he would never let them take any unnecessary risks. They had ventured out in the dusk and never came back." A wave of sudden anger appeared in his voice. "Now I think we have found them, at least five of them!" Dan pointed at two large tents, with extra sheets and flags. "There! We covered the scene from outsiders! We want no more stories going around, scaring my subjects!"