Chapter 4: Sahej of the Great Sands

Like lightning itself, such an elegant move only a warrior born in the saddle could make. There was no way Sahej could block it, even if he could parry it, the sheer force itself would be enough to knock him off his horse.

Tahej's lance broke on the impact on Sahej's armour. The sound was like thunder echoing across the great dunes.

Sahej fell off and flew a few meters before he bounced on the ground. As he did, his horse kept running.

Down on the ground, he wept, punching it as he cursed at himself for never beating his brother Tahej.

"Little brother, you focus too much on where to put your lance, you forget to predict where I will thrust mine." Tahej said as he dismounted and tried to help Sahej up from the ground. "How do you expect to defeat someone, if you can't even do the fundamentals of lance war... Protecting your life!"

Tahej was everything Sahej wasn't, only being two years older, he was already an acknowledged Sash of the Blood Sand clan. Not only had he won several battles against rival clans but also successfully raided the coastal city of Merva, bringing home a great number of slaves. The news of Tahej's astonish endeavour had made waves across the world. It was the first time, since the fall of Achea, that the clans of the Great Sands had gathered an army of that size and attacked a trade city of the Oval Coast.

Sahej refused to take his brother's hand. He tried to push himself up, but the pain in the back from the fall was too great. He stared at his horse with angry eyes. It had slowly walked back towards them.

"You move your lance really well, but you were too predictable, I could see where you intended to aim long before it was time." Tahej said with great enthusiasm, trying to educate his brother in lance fighting.

Tahej looked different from Sahej. He had dark brown eyes where Sahej had light brown. He had long black hair where Sahej had short brown hair. He was slim and tall, where Sahej was shorter and more muscular. He had a charming smile and carefree look on his face, Sahej never smiled and was always grim.

Sahej got quiet for a second. He really hated to lose, he hated it! He started breathing slowly, calming himself down, focusing on his next attempt.

"As for your shield, you raised it way too early..." Sahej said as he accepted his brother's hand. "I had you fooled, just that I couldn't change my direction fast enough. Soon I will have you flying off your saddle!"

"That is my brother!" Tahej said as he reached down from his horse and lightly punched Sahej on the shoulder. "Always coming up with a plan!"

"One more time brother!" Sahej said as he climbed up his horse for yet another round. "I have you figured out! I will knock you down to the ground one more time and you will see!"

"You just told me what my weakness was..." Tahej said proudly with a smile "It is not wise to tell your opponent what your next move will be. Being unpredictable is the greatest virtue of battle. But I am afraid I must return home and attend to clan matters. I promise we will continue this tomorrow!"

Sahej and Tahej rode back towards their camp by the Sila-river, at the North-Western part of the Great sands. It was the beginning of spring, and the shamans were assembled to sacrifice to the hunting god, to bring yet another blessed year. As Tahej himself was Sash, he was the one to lead the ritual, and perform the sacrifice himself.

"What do you think?" Tahej said as he carefully slowed down his horse and tossed Sahej his poleaxe, his signature weapon. "Beautiful isn't it? I polished it with soft silver all night. I even carved in our family name for the shaman's blessings."