Chapter 11: Miranda Telea of the empire

Miranda woke up after a long night sleep, watching her husbands exhausted face. He was being agonized by his dreams. Having stayed up day and night, praying for Emma's awakening, he had finally passed out on the couch next to Emma's bed. Missing her husband, Miranda had tucked her skinny body beside him. She had tried to make Wilfred go out, just for a short moment, but he refused. "How could we not have seen her?" He kept telling himself over and over. "This is my fault, I brought her here. I wanted her to be safe and yet this happened." Wilfred was not the person to forgive himself, Miranda knew it was hopeless, he got obsessed by his own mistakes, never letting mistakes be mistakes.

Over the chest of her husband, Miranda watched her helpless little daughter, her life drifting away. She longed so much for her, she just wanted to hear her voice again.

Miranda went up, kissed her daughter in the forehead and told her it was time, time to wake up now. Magnus! Please, give back my daughter and I will do anything. Anything to make up ever doubting you! She prayed silently to herself. "Emma!" She said to her daughter. "My child, come back to us!" She started sobbing loudly once she realised that she might never be able to speak to Emma again. It was loud enough to make Wilfred wake up.

"Sorry to wake you." Miranda apologized to her husband.

"Mmmmhm" Wilfred grunted half awake.

"Did you get any sleep?" Miranda asked her husband gently.

Swiftly Wilfred eyes went up, like he had been ripped out of a Nightmare. He looked at her with sharp eyes. It seemed that Wilfred had forgotten the reality, but just for a few seconds. As he remembered saw his daughter laying there, he immediately seemed to miss his nightmares.

"Nothing new I presume?" Wilfred asked her as he slowly straightened himself up on the couch.

Miranda just shook her head, too sad to answer. Having to take responsibility off the rest of their family, Miranda could not stay at Emma's side all the time as Wilfred had. She tried to point that out to Wilfred as well, but he wouldn't hear it. "Are they also dying?" He had said to her.

"No success in locating my brother either...." Wilfred told her. "At least that was what they said when they were here last night."

As a child, Wilfred's older brother Thomas, had been declared partially insane due to his hallucinations. Being unfit to inherit Sail's end, plead to their father to allow him to join the Knowledge guild. Hoping to find an answer to his insanity.

The Capital was full of nobility which had no claim to their father's inheritance. In order to please the rest of the lords within the Empire, the imperial council granted them high titles within the government administration or in the garrison army. It was more common than not, that the various orders within the empire did the same thing to win favour amongst the power houses. It was just what happened to Wilfred's brother Thomas, as he now was a master in the knowledge guild. Seemingly making a name for himself.

"He always adored Emma for some reason. Even though they were so different." Wilfred said as he got up on his feet. He walked towards Emma's bed and gently stroke her hair.

Miranda hugged him, joined him in tears trying to ease the pain.

"Nobody gives me any answers" He said to Miranda, without taking his eyes off his daughter. "They can't say if she ever wakes up. If she will, it can take weeks, months or even years. Nobody knows...."

"Everybody has been so supportive." Miranda said sobbing. "Even the Morg's have given us condolences. Victoria constantly asks about her, if she has woken up or her condition has improved or not. Aldus has even offered us help, saying in Morgdale, they have the best healers in the empire they can send for."