Chapter 2: Miranda Telea of The Empire

Miranda walked through the bright hallways of the old castle library. The librarians were ever so picky with keeping things in order. All to preserve their books that had been standing on the shelves for centuries. They were all arranged in perfect order. Not a single book was misplaced. Miranda loved the library here, she had spent numerous days if not weeks, reading. It was pretty much the only thing she liked about Sail's End, however. The city was crowded and stressful, most of it was newly built and had been made in a rush. The layout of the city followed a perfect grid design, with the castle on top of the highest hill, keeping away any form of charm and personality. When her husband, Wilfred Mandos, had taken over the title Lord of Sail's End, from his father, the city had once again flourished. With the help of the Emperor, he had established a prosperous trade route, reaching as far down as to the most southern point of the Sydostrium. It effectively made Sail's End the largest trading city by the North West.

Miranda complained that the city lacked soul and history. There was nothing mysterious to her, nothing of interest, except for the monastery and its library. Both were located next to the boxy and brutalist built castle, which served as their home. It was so much in contrast to where she came from. Miranda herself was from the old and powerful house Telea. It was the ruling family of the most northern Imperial province, Titanela; the lands where titans once had walked. To the opposite of Sail's End, Titanela was filled with history, uprisings had been seeded, kings slain and empires forged and destroyed. Although Titanela had played a significant role in the past, it was now a part of the old world, Sail's End belonged to the new. Men now looked beyond the borders of the Empire to establish trade with neighbouring nations, something that was unthinkable just a century ago. Now every culture and nation of the known world was represented in Sail's End. It was not to everyone's liking, especially not to the dominant religion of the Empire, the intolerant Church of Magnus. Their belief was that the founder of the Empire, Magnus the Divine, was in fact a god who had walked the earth.

As the stories go, Magnus saved humanity from complete destruction by founding the Empire, to unite humanity against forces of darkness. Besides being a phenomenal leader, they claimed that he possessed divine strength, and went toe to toe with mighty demons, giants and all sorts of vile creatures.

The Church of Magnus was a powerful institution and a force to be reckoned with. Their military branch, the knightly order Templar Magnicar, was almost as powerful as any army of the seven high lords of the Empire. They were perceived as noble knights, or warrior monks, protecting the weak. In other parts of the world, the story is very different. History has proven it to be the case on numerous occasions. Luckily, they had yet to establish any firm presence in Sail's End. However, everyone knew it was just a matter of time before they did. Fanaticism spreads and corrupts the world. That was almost always a certain fact.

Miranda had been worried all day as she had not yet heard anything about her son, Alden's return to the city. It was odd, Wilfred and Alden had been gone for days. While Wilfred had embraced her upon his arrival, Alden hadn't accompanied him.

"He said he would come by later. Just some minor matter to take care of." Wilfred had said when she had asked him about why Alden had not accompanied him. He had then walked straight to the courtyard to find their other children, Eilas, Emma and Milena. As that business was concluded, he went strolling around in the city market, mingling with the people as he loved doing. As usual, he didn't seem to be willing to share any details of his trip. Miranda sensed that something disturbing had happened to him. She could tell as Wilfred always pushed her away when he had something in his mind that he had to process. Frustrating as it was, she had learned it was better to leave it alone.

Miranda found her son standing by a desk in a dark corner inside the library. The only source of light present was a small candle. He was flipping through pages in an old book, older than herself, perhaps even older than the library. Sir Heim had told her that Alden had gone there, so that was the first place she looked. She purposely made heavy and loud steps as she walked down the hallway, alerting Alden to her presence.