t h i r t y s e v e n

"At least our first night here will be memorable," Alexandra joked, attempting to ease the tension as they entered the cottage. Tom, visibly angry, continued to limp across the house until he made his way into the bedroom. Alexandra sighed, following him.

"You could've killed him," he stated.

"I thought he killed you," Alexandra defended. Tom scoffed. "What?"

"Losing me is no excuse for losing yourself," Tom argued.

"I just wanted-"

"Revenge?" He asked. Alexandra stayed silent. "If you killed him, you would become the person you tried so hard to convince me I wasn't after I killed that girl and my father. Everything you stood for, everything you fought for would mean nothing."

"I was so angry," Alexandra cried, unable to let go of the feeling.

"Understandably so. I am the best thing that's ever happened to you," Tom joked, his previous anger seeming to quickly fade away. Alexandra, as he expected her to, hit him in the arm.

"How can you joke right now?"

"We've established on a number of occasions that I'm not the best at expressing certain emotions," Tom explained, pulling Alexandra into a hug in an attempt to help her relax. He felt guilty for making her feel this way, but he needed to get his point across and he didn't know how else to do that other than by being blatantly honest with her. "I'm sorry."

"No, you're right," she accepted, making sure not to hug him too tightly. "Thank you for looking out for me."

"I always will," Tom assured her. "Everything I do, I do with you in mind."

"That's a sweet thing to say for someone who doesn't know how to express his emotions," she smiled lightly, slowly becoming more and more relaxed in Tom's arms. "Let's go to bed, yeah?"

"No need to rush. You haven't even seen the place yet," Tom smiled, taking her hand and bringing her around the cottage. They didn't own many things, so the cottage was mostly empty other than the few pieces of furniture that were kindly provided to them. Still, it already felt like home.

"I love it," Alexandra grinned. "It's perfect."

"Dumbledore didn't wait long to send us a gift," Tom explained, pulling out a box from underneath their bed. "I thought I'd wait for you to open it."

"I wouldn't peg him as the sentimental type," Alexandra chuckled, pulling open the relatively large box to find two smaller boxes labeled with their names. "Did it come with a note?"

"No," Tom answered, pulling out his box. Alexandra did the same, too invested on its contents to look at Tom's. She lifted the lid, being met first with a blank photograph that seemed burnt around the edges. Below it sat a knit hat, with an F sewn to the front. Beside the hat, there was a simple black tie. The final item was a book she knew all too well; Time Travel: A Theory. She opened it, expecting to see pages of her notes a scribbles, but they weren't there. Instead, the middle of the pages were cut out to form a hole that held none other than Dumbledore's time turner. Finally, underneath all of the items, there was a note.

Throughout our lives, there are pathways that are laid before us. These pathways are brought about by the choices we make, whether or not we deem them significant. Some of these choices, however, are not made by us, but for us. Our future, then, is determined by whether or not we choose to accept them. That decision is now yours to make when the time comes. You will come to learn that nothing is impossible if your heart is in the right place, and that love is much more powerful than you have been led to believe.

"I'll never understand him," Alexandra said quietly, putting everything back in the box and closing it. She knew the items had meaning, but Dumbledore said it himself: she didn't have to accept that fact. "A bloody salt shaker would've sufficed, but, of course, he has to go and twist everything around until it drives us mad."

"Relax," Tom stated, putting his box down so he could put his hands on her shoulders. "We can throw it all out in the morning, let's go to bed."

"You don't want to know what was in my box?"

"If it's anything like what was in mine, I wouldn't say a show and tell is necessary," Tom smiled lightly, kissing her forehead. "Don't let his silly games bother you."

"You should know that's easier said than done," Alexandra sighed. "I just wish I knew what was going through his head."

"He probably doesn't even know what's going on up there," Tom chuckled lightly. "I feel sorry for the kids who have to deal with him as Headmaster. I'll feel even more sorry if one of those kids is ours."

"I wouldn't speak too poorly of him, he may be our boss in five years," Alexandra smiled. "Knowing our luck, the bastard will never die and we'll be stuck with him forever."

"I'd prefer not to have nightmares on our first night here."

"I'd say we don't have to sleep, but I'm rather exhausted from saving your life," Alexandra joked, laughing when Tom rolled his eyes. "I'll be holding that over you for at least the next few days."

"I expect nothing less."

———————————
Note:
Hi friends! Just a few more chapters to go before Tom and Alexandra's story comes to a close. With that being said, if you have any questions from the book you're dying to have answered or certain milestone moments you'll hate me for not including, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Also, **important** how would you all feel about a *drumroll* Fred fic? It would include a new main with a new backstory because I can only rewrite Alexandra's life so many times and that girl needs a break. I have a bunch of exciting ideas though that I'm eager to turn into a story.
Anyway, I'm super thankful for every single one of you that have followed Alexandra on her journey and I want you to know that I read every single one of your comments. They range from heartwarming to hilarious and make me feel guilty for not giving you the smut you so desire but, trust me, you do not want me writing that.
Until we meet again at the bottom of the final chapter,
Lots of love xx
- modern-july