n i n e t e e n

"Tom, my boy!" Slughorn cheered, eagerly shaking Tom's hand and looking over his shoulder. "I see you've brought a guest. Wonderful to see you again, Miss River."

"Likewise, Professor," Alexandra smiled, wondering why Slughorn acted like he hasn't seen her in months when she was in his class just two days ago.

"There's plenty of food and drinks to go around. Don't be afraid to dance," Slughorn chuckled, gesturing for Tom and Alexandra to enter the room.

"He's very strange," Alexandra pointed out, causing Tom to crack a smile. "I appreciate your invitation. It's not every day I have the opportunity to dress up."

"You look good," Tom stated, ending his very bland compliment there.

"Thank you," Alexandra smiled, looking away from him in fear that he would see her blush. "You look good as well."

"I know," he smirked. Alexandra chuckled lightly, pouring herself a drink. She wanted to begin a conversation, but she couldn't think of a single thing to discuss other than classes. Tom was equally stuck, but he was the first to speak. "Your hair is different."

"Melissa did it," Alexandra explained. "She's much better at these kinds of things than I am."

It was awkwardly silent for another minute or so as Tom and Alexandra stared at their feet, taking small sips of their drinks until Tom spoke up once again. "Would you care to leave?"

"Very much so," Alexandra agreed, following Tom as he tried to leave without getting Slughorn's attention. They succeeded, but that didn't stop Melissa and Avery from taking notice of their departure.

"Should we follow them?" Melissa asked, grabbing Avery's arm when he didn't protest.

As Alexandra and Tom approached the Room of Requirement, Tom couldn't help but hear footsteps and quiet chatter not far behind them.

"Is that a broom cupboard?" Alexandra asked, noticing the door hadn't appeared as it usually did.

"Get in," Tom hurried, pulling her into it. "Someone is following us."

"Why is that such a big deal?"

"I'm very content with you and I being the only two individuals who know of this Room," Tom explained, placing his hand over Alexandra's mouth. He was very protective of the Room, as strange as it sounded. Secretly, it was one of the only things that was significant to him; one of the only things in his life that had meaning. It was somewhat of a safe space for him. It gave him comfort. If everybody knew about it, all of that would be lost.

Alexandra furrowed her eyebrows in frustration and crossed her arms, waiting impatiently for Tom to take his hand off of her mouth.

"I wasn't pleased by that," Alexandra stated the moment Tom pulled his hand away.

"My hands are clean," he shrugged, not making any effort to leave the closet despite Melissa and Avery having obviously left already.

"Is there a reason we're still in the closet?" Alexandra asked, feeling something poking her where it definitely shouldn't be.

"It's cozy," Tom shrugged, opening the door. Alexandra stepped out of the room, watching as the door grew. Tom opened the door once again, gesturing for her to enter before him.

"Why did you invite me to the Christmas party?" Alexandra asked. Tom chuckled. The location change definitely made them feel more comfortable.