t h r e e

"Grindlewald's attacks are getting worse," Alexandra whispered to Melissa, joining her friend in the library days after her release from the hospital wing.

"So?" Melissa asked, flipping a page in her book. "He's only attacking muggles. What's that got to do with us?"

"I don't see what they've done wrong," Alexandra frowned, causing Melissa's attention to quickly shift away from her book. "They didn't ask to be born without magic, and they've done nothing to hurt us as we hurt them."

"You've got to be joking," Melissa chuckled.

"Honestly, Melissa, how do you expect me to support this man when he murdered my parents?" Alexandra asked angrily. "They helped him escape from prison, then he murdered them with absolutely no remorse. I wasn't even a year old. Nobody deserves to grow up without a family, not even muggles."

"I'm sorry," Melissa frowned, feeling guilty as she placed her hand on top of Alexandra's.

"You're allowed to disagree with me," Alexandra stated. "I'm probably the only Slytherin in the world who hates Grindelwald and doesn't mind muggles."

"You're not wrong about that," Melissa chuckle lightly. "You're allowed to be angry, and I'll always be here to listen to what you have to say, even when I don't agree."

"You're a wonderful friend," Alexandra smiled.

"Has your memory been improving?"

"A little. It still takes me a few seconds to remember certain things, but at least I'm remembering them at all," Alexandra sighed. "I mistook Dumbledore for the Headmaster yesterday. Imagine him as Headmaster?"

"Hogwarts certainly wouldn't survive," Melissa laughed.

"Something else has been happening recently," Alexandra explained, moving closer to Melissa and lowering her voice. "I've been seeing this boy in my dreams ever since I left the hospital wing. I haven't seen his face, but he's rather lanky and he's got this annoyingly bright red hair."

"Do you even know anyone with red hair?"

"No," Alexandra sighed, brushing her hair out of her face. "I just have this urge to go up to him, but I can't. Every time I get close to him, he disappears. It's very frustrating."

"It's probably some side effect from all the potions Madame Lilith gave you. I'm sure it's nothing."

"I promised Tom I would meet him to study," Alexandra explained, checking the time and realizing she was running late.

"Where do you two study anyway?" Melissa asked. "It's obviously not in the library, and I never see you two in the common room before midnight."

"It's a private spot we found a few weeks ago for potion-fueled intentions," Alexandra lied. "We'd like to keep it private for the time being."

"I see," Melissa smirked.

"He's been helping me with those silly memory exercises Madame Lilith gave me, and it's much easier to concentrate when it's quiet and we're alone," Alexandra excused, knowing she set herself up for Melissa's comments but trying to avoid them anyway.

"So you're saying he doesn't distract you at all?" Melissa asked. Alexandra shifted in her seat. "He does!"

"He does not," Alexandra protested, urging Melissa to lower her voice. "Would you let that idea go? You know he probably can't love, so, even if I did fancy him, nothing would ever happen."

"Just because he probably can't love doesn't mean he wouldn't enjoy it if you-"

"I'm leaving," Alexandra laughed, standing up. "You're awful."

"Oh, like you wouldn't enjoy it if he-"

"Goodbye, Melissa," Alexandra sang, practically running out of the library to avoid hearing the last part of her suggestion. She laughed to herself, making sure she wasn't being followed as she made her way to the Room of Requirement.

"Miss River, I hope you're recovering well," Dumbledore stated, startling the girl.

"I am, thank you," she smiled. "Madame Lilith is wonderful."

"Ah, yes, she is," Dumbledore chuckled. "How are your studies? I hear you've recently been interested in time. Specifically time travel, is that correct?"

"Yes, sir," Alexandra nodded. "I hope to study it further at the Ministry upon graduation."

"I wish you much success," Dumbledore smiled, his eyes twinkling.

"Thank you, Professor."

Dumbledore nodded goodbye to the girl, watching carefully as she walked away. For a short moment he felt a painful sting of guilt, watching her mind and body struggle to adapt to the new timeline. Still, he had to focus on ensuring Alexandra River would never learn the truth.

"Part of me wants to throw all of these glass balls on the floor and watch them shatter into a million pieces," Alexandra stated, entering the room.

"Aggressive, no?" Tom asked, standing up from his chair.

"They're absolutely pointless otherwise," Alexandra shrugged, walking over to the line of shelves. "You know, I've never seen you lose your temp-"

Alexandra paused, bringing a shaky hand to her face when her glass ball reflection showed a large gash on her forehead. Her breath caught in her throat.

"Alexandra, get away. He's a werewolf, he doesn't know who you are!"

"What's happening to me?" Alexandra cried, throwing her hands over her ears to stop the voices. Tom swiftly made his way to her side, looking at her reflection and not noticing anything different or odd about it.

"Get away! Alex!"

"Make it stop!" Alexandra yelled. "Make it stop!"

Feeling overwhelmed by all of her yelling, and beginning to grow slightly concerned for his classmate, Tom muttered a quick spell to put her to sleep. He caught her before she could fall, picking her up in his arms and making his way towards the hospital wing as he, himself, wondered what could possibly be happening to her.

"Madame Lilith, Miss River needs your immediate attention," Tom stated, placing Alexandra in a nearby bed.

"What's happened?" Madame Lilith panicked, running to the girl's side.

"She was looking at her reflection when something startled her. She did not say what, and I did not see anything out of the ordinary," Tom began to explain. "She covered her ears and began yelling for me to make something stop. I'm not sure what she was referring to, but I casted a quick sleeping spell to calm her and immediately brought her here. I hope I didn't harm her further."

"No, no, you did the right thing," Madame Lilith sighed. "You're a friend of her's. Have you noticed anything else out of the ordinary?"

"Not at all," Tom answered. "I'm sorry I can't be of more help."

"That's alright, dear. You're welcome to stay."

"I don't want to be in your way. I'll return in the morning," Tom smiled. "Thank you once again for your help, Madame Lilith."

Tom said goodbye to the nurse, his fake smile fading as soon as he turned his back to her.