t h i r t y s i x

Alexandra and Melissa stood in front of Leatrange's manor, both silently wondering if they were making the right decision. Alexandra took a deep breath, taking initiative and knocking on the door. Lestrange answered, a smirk on his face when he saw the girl.

"I'm glad you decided to come," he smiled, gesturing for her and Melissa to enter. He turned to Melissa, eager to get her away. "Avery is in the kitchen."

"Why am I not surprised?" Melissa sighed, glancing at Alexandra before walking away.

"You look wonderful," Lestrange stated, holding his hand out. "Allow me to show you around the manor."

Alexandra took his hand, letting go once she stepped through the door. He didn't take the hint, instead placing his hand on the small of her back as he guided her through the room. The two made their way upstairs, Melissa watching carefully in case Alexandra sent a sign for help.

"She's going to get herself killed," Avery stated, causing Melissa to hit him. "If he doesn't kill her, he'll kill Riddle. Speaking of-"

"What?" Melissa yelled, turning to see Tom walk through the door.

"What? Why what?" Avery asked, confused as to why Melissa was suddenly so panicked.

"He isn't supposed to be here," Melissa explained, remembering what Alexandra told her. "When Lestrange invited her, he specifically instructed her to come alone."

"It looks like he told Tom the same," Avery stated, taking a sip of his drink. "Seems Lestrange is trying to start some trouble. Who would have guessed? Oh right, me."

"Don't be an arse," Melissa glared, catching Tom's attention and waving him over in an attempt to keep him away from the staircase. "You came alone?"

"Alexandra went to visit her aunt's to gather the rest of her things," Tom explained, grabbing himself a drink.

"Right, you two are moving in together. Seems rather unconventional seeing as you're not married," Avery pointed out. Tom chuckled, sipping his drink.

"Everything about us is unconventional, mate. Rest assured, we won't be unmarried for long," Tom stated, causing Melissa to spit out her drink.

"You're proposing?" Melissa asked.

"Not right away, no," he admitted. "The time isn't right. Not with Lestrange in my way. Where is the bastard anyway?"

"I have no idea," Melissa lied, glancing at the staircase. Tom turned to see where she was looking, but she stole his attention back. "Do you want to have children? She's had a name picked out for years, you know. Sam. Or Samantha, if it's a girl."

"Really?" Tom asked, a smile growing on his face. Melissa noticed Alexandra coming down the stairs and nudged Avery until he noticed.

"I think I just saw Lestrange enter the dining room. I reckon it's a good idea to say hello," Avery suggested, taking Tom into the other room while Melissa ran over to Alexandra.

"Tom-"

"Hello ladies. You two look wonderful tonight," Lestrange's mother greeted, approaching the pair before Melissa could get a sentence out. "I've heard a lot about you, Miss River. And you must be her friend, er-"

"Melissa," Melissa smiled, shaking the woman's hand. "Burbank."

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. Please, come join the party," she insisted, glancing up the stairs and nodding to her son before she brought the girls into the main room where a number of guests were mingling and dancing to the live music. "What will you two be doing now that you've graduated?"

"I've actually been offered a job as a starting photographer for the Daily Prophet," Melissa yelled over the noise. "I begin next week."

"Oh, how wonderful," the woman grinned. Looking at Alexandra. "What about you, dear?"

"I've been offered a teaching position at Hogwarts," Alexandra smiled, leaving out the five year gap for which she had no plan. Alexandra turned her head to the crowd, swearing she heard something breaking but seeing no commotion. "Charms."

"I heard you graduated top of your class. What an esteemed accomplishment."

"Yes, thank you," Alexandra smiled, looking at Melissa when she heard thumping above her. Melissa shrugged. "May I ask where your bathroom is?"

"Let me show you," the woman insisted. Alexandra sent Melissa a look to ask for help, and help is exactly what she provided.

"Oh no!" She yelled, dropping her glass on the floor. "I'm so sorry."

While the woman was distracted, Alexandra took the chance to find where the commotion was coming from. She ran upstairs, remembering that Lestrange never seemed to come down after her.

Her pace quickened when she heard screaming, seeing Lestrange through a nearby doorway with his wand pointed at a person she couldn't see from where she stood. She took out her wand, hesitating for a moment as she considered every possible spell she could use against him, including the killing curse. As much as she itched to rid of him for good, her relief wouldn't be worth the consequences.

"Alarte Ascendare!" She yelled, pointing her wand at Lestrange and looking away when he flew so high into the air that he hit the ceiling. She finally looked back, seeing Lestrange motionless on the floor.

Alexandra took a deep breath, walking into the room to see Tom on the floor across from her. She gasped, running towards him and dropping to her knees at his side.

"Tom," Alexandra cried, seeing he wasn't moving.

"It's a shame, really," Lestrange said, obviously in pain but pushing to stand up again. "All your potential wasted. For what? Love?"

Angrily, Alexandra quickly picked up her wand and wordlessly sent spell after spell towards her classmate who, after some time, began struggling to deflect them. As tears filled her eyes, still unaware of whether Tom was dead or alive, Alexandra's spells became more and more powerful while Lestrange, much to her surprise, began cheering.

"Come on! Show the world who you are, who you can be! Finish the job!" He encouraged, getting into her head as nothing but her anger controlled her.

"Avada-" she began, interrupted as Tom pulled her arm down and sent his own string of spells towards Lestrange. In a span of seconds Lestrange was disarmed, thrown back against the wall, and rendered unconscious before falling limp to the ground.

Alexandra looked at Lestrange in shock, struggling to catch her breath as Tom carefully took her wand out of her hand before she did something he knew she'd regret. She turned to Tom, still in a panic, helping him sit up with shaky hands as he grunted in pain.

"I thought you were dead," she cried, bringing her hands to his face before pulling him into a hug. He winced, but chose to ignore the pain as he embraced her.

"Let's get out of here," Tom encouraged, forcing himself up and bringing Alexandra with him.

"Really? That's all you have to say?"

"Respectfully, I'd prefer to converse in a setting far away from the person who just attempted to kill me."

"Right," Alexandra sighed, wiping her tears and helping Tom stay upright as he limped beside her. Before they left, though, Alexandra made sure to send one more spell toward Lestrange that would ensure he stayed put long enough for the Aurors to find him. "Dick."