Umbra

Shadows

HANNAH

It's a lazy Friday morning and I don't have anything to do. I already finished my internship for this semester and I won't be having another until summer. I was strolling the mall, trying to entertain myself, when I felt the need to take a break from walking around. I went inside a coffee shop to pass my time. Inabala ko na lang ang sarili ko sa pagbabasa ng bagong biling libro.

Dati naman akong sanay na mag-isa ngunit simula nang maging kaibigan ko si Selene ay hinahanap-hanap ko na ang may kasama o kahit may maingay man lang sa paligid. I don't want to be alone anymore.

I was on the third chapter of the book when I received a message from Carrack. He's asking if I'm busy. Nang sinabi ko na hindi ay tumawag s'ya.

"Hi!" I smiled kahit na hindi naman n'ya nakikita.

Carrack is on his office right now and was having a meeting earlier this morning. Baka natapos na n'ya kaya tumatawag na s'ya. Ang alam ko ay abala s'ya buong araw ngayon dahil bukas ay plano namin na mamasyal sa Baguio. 

"Hello. What are you doing?"

I bit my lip at the tenderness of his voice. "I'm just reading a book," I replied as I closed the book then set it down on the table. Sinandal ko ang likod ko sa upuan at inabot ang cup ko ng iced coffee at tipid na sumipsip mula sa straw.

"What book?"

"Nothing that will interest you," I giggled. I'm sure that Carrack is not the type who will love classic literature.

"Nasa bahay ka lang?"

"Nope. Nasa Estancia ako. It was lonely at home so I went out," I explained.

"Hmm... I have a meeting in ten minutes. I don't think it will take long. After the meeting puntahan kita. Let's have dinner together?" There's a trace of excitement on his tone.

Isang linggo na kaming hindi nagkikita. He's always calling me and checking on me from time to time, but he can't make time to meet me in person. Masyado silang abala sa kompanya dahil sa pagpapalit ng posisyon ng ilan. He told me that he's now the President and CEO of L&L Amante Holdings Inc. as part of changing the whole structure of Amante Group of Companies or AGC. Kuya Levin will step up on being the President, with Trey as the CEO, and  Ate Tria resumed being the Chairman of the Board of Directors for AGC. 

Hindi ko masyadong naiintindihan ang pinagkaiba ng mga posisyon nila. Pero ang sabi ni Carrack ay bumaba ang posisyon n'ya at mas gusto n'ya iyon. Hindi na s'ya parte ng mother company kaya hindi na s'ya masyadong kakailanganin na lumabas ng bansa. 

I went back on reading my book after a short phone call with Carrack. Minutes of talking to him brightened up my day. 

Masyado akong nalibang sa binabasa ko kaya hindi ko na namalayan ang oras. Nagulat na lamang ako nang may umupo sa harap ko.

Agad na naramdaman ko ang paninikip ng dibdib ko nang mapagsino iyon. It's Marron Vergara-Amante!

My hands shook. I placed my book down then grabbed my bag. I didn't expect this meeting.

I don't want to be with her. I don't want to be near with anyone related to that devil! And she's his sister.

"Hannah," Marron gently called.

Nanigas ako sa kinauupuan ko. She's my brother's ex-girlfriend. Kuya almost married her, but I only met her twice before. I was never close to her. And the last time I saw her, I learned that she's his sister. And she's the one who pointed out the reason why I was locked up in an institution. Pinagbintangan n'ya ako na nagsisinungaling lang at gawa-gawa ko lang ang mga paratang ko sa demonyo n'yang kapatid.