True Hero

"Stain!" Midoriya called out, jumping from the rooftop of the building from which he'd noticed the villain, "wait!"

"It's you." Stain simply stated, evidently startled. Midoriya pursed his lips, glancing down at Iida who was gaping at him in shock.

"Mido..." Iida started, voice hitching, "...iya?"

"Stay still, Iida." Midoriya snapped. He quickly turned his attention back towards the hero killer, voice tense as he spoke, "listen, I know he probably asked for it, but you don't have to kill him. You're a man of ideals, right? How is killing a hero in training, who didn't have a chance to show himself off yet, a part of your ideals?"

"It's not, to be perfectly honest with you," Stain stated calmly, his katana lowering dangerously close towards Iida's throat, "but I don't let people do whatever they want, either."

"You don't have to kill him. He is angry, and that's understandable! You are the man who mortally wounded his brother!" Midoriya tried to explain. He could feel that this was going nowhere, but he prayed that the location he sent to the group chat would serve as a hint, especially if there was anyone else close to Hosu who could see the chaos in the city.

"You know, I like you," Stain stated, his katana lingering in its place as a warning to stay where he was, "and now that I can say it's more or less the two of us, I want to ask again. Would you like me to help you out of your family dilemma?" Midoriya licked his lips. He wished that Stain could be a little more subtle. The fact that Iida didn't know he was a villain, and Stain didn't know he was a hero, was truly the worst possible scenario at the moment.

"My answer remains the same." Midoriya replied, trying to calm his racing heart. Stain sighed, nodding to himself.

"It's disappointing. You have talent. I can see that you understand my goals, and you're not agreeing to this willingly."

"It's not about will." Midoriya snapped back, trying to waver the topic towards another direction.

"But then what is it about? How can there be ideals without will? A goal without will? Will is everything!" Stain exclaimed. Midoriya took a deep breath, trying to keep his mind going, coming up with responses as he bought time.

"Will isn't the only factor. Family is, too."

"Are you adopted?" Stain questioned, "your view of family is incredibly strong, almost unreasonable. Why try to appease them when you can appease yourself?"

"I prefer to stick with the way I am," Midoriya stated confidently, "just as Tenya Iida here wishes to stick to protecting and avenging his brother."

"So you do realize this attack is one of vengeance." Stain commented quietly. A shrill cry of Nomu sounded, breaking the silence, but it was just as thick as Midoriya licked his lips and glanced at Iida.

Iida looked back at him in confusion and pain, mouth opening but no words coming out. Midoriya averted his eyes. He couldn't let himself get distracted now.

"You're quite the strange one," Stain spoke with an intrigued smile, "there's clearly more to you than meets the eye. I can tell by your connection with your 'family', as well as your...unexpected, connection with this young man here." Midoriya could tell Stain was hinting on the fact that he was helping a hero while being a villain, and he prayed Stain would play along and keep talking to him in a subtle manner.

"I can't exactly appreciate being complimented by a hero killer." Midoriya stated with a small shrug. Stain scoffed, clearly seeing the contradictory of the statement and slowly realizing what was going on.

He clearly caught on that Midoriya was a coin with two sides, and although without much benefit, he let himself play along. The boy, despite being so young and not quite as mature, caught his attention, and he didn't want to lead to his doom and revelation.