Drunken Regret

*Trigger warning* there are some parts of this chapter that may upset some readers

1st January

Nick’s POV

My head was thumping, my body was aching and it felt like I had a hippo sitting on my chest. I groaned and tried to move but I couldn’t. A loud banging noise made me jump and my eyes struggled to open to see what it was.

“Wake the fuck up, Nick!” I groaned when I heard Emerson’s voice. His voice sounds hurt and has a hint of anger. My mind immediately trying to recall whether I did something wrong or not. The truth is, I can barely remember what happened last night.

“Do you have to be so loud?” I whined and my eyes finally decided to open and I wished I hadn’t. Emerson was standing beside the bed, next to where I was laying. His arms were folded across his naked chest and he looked pissed off, I was in trouble.

“Yes. You just kicked me off the damn bed!” He looks very mad and I blinked several times to get more focus. My head now was also spinning slightly.

“Why would I do that?” I am so confused right now. As my eyesight adjusted to the light, my eyes noticed the dark bruise forming on his cheek bone and left eye. What the fuck!

I flew out of bed and tried to reach for him but I stumbled over my feet and fell. As I went down, my head hit the corner of my bedside cupboard.

“Fuck Nick!” Emerson wasn’t quick enough to catch me either. He was beside me on the floor and checking me for any injuries. 

“Oh my god, you’re bleeding!” Emerson was now panicking. 

“I’m okay. Just go get a cold, wet face washer, Bub. It doesn’t hurt that much.” I tried to reassure him as I know he freaks out when there’s blood. It’s a good thing he’s a mechanic. He helped me up to sit on the edge of the bed and tried to not look at the side of my face.

“I’ll be back in a minute.” He said looking the other way. I tried reach out for his hand but he took a step back. Then I watched as he walked out of our room and into the ensuite. Something is definitely wrong here.

When he came back, he passed me the face washer and then sat down on the bed beside me, but far enough away that I can’t reach him. As I placed it over the side of my face where the blood was dripping, I winced. My head was more than pounding right now. In the corner of my eye, I noticed Emerson rest his elbows on his knees and put his head down.

“I’m sorry I did that, Bub. I had no idea. How did you get that shiner on your face?” I asked as I looked his way and then attempted to place my hand on his. When he moved it away again, my heart dropped to my stomach.

“Don’t touch me, Nick.” His voice on the verge of tears and he then glanced my way and I flinched. The sadness and hurt, along with the now blacker eye and cheek. What the hell happened? 

“Emerson, please. I’m so sorry, Baby. I didn’t know that I kicked you out of the bed. I can’t even remember how we ended up in here,” I pleaded that he forgive me. I would never, and I mean never try and hurt him on purpose. He has to know that.

“You don’t even remember anything at all from last night, do you?” he asked with a sigh. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, hoping that would help me recall some of the previous nights events. When my mind went blank, I opened my eyes and saw that Emerson was waiting for me to respond. He knows I know that I cannot remember a fucking thing.

“No, I can’t” I felt ashamed and scared that I have done something that I’m going to regret.

“Your Mum and Dad are flying home and will be here in a couple of hours. They are going to be with Jace at the hospital. I’ve been told that McKenna and the baby are okay but her apartment has been completely destroyed by the fire.” He said, my mouth dropped open and I couldn’t believe what I just heard. That really happened? I thought I dreamt that.