Unexpected Visit

9th October

Emerson's POV

Today has felt like it dragged on forever, and it's no where near bedtime. I'm hoping from the messages I got from Nicky, we can have an early night. He probably won't be home for a while, so it will give me a chance to clean up and order something for dinner. Takeaway sounds like heaven right now.

After putting away the dishes, I was going through the pantry to check for anything alcoholic. With Nick out of the house most of the day, and coming home late, it's my only chance. I know he's been hiding it, and I still haven't worked out how or where. He thinks I don't know it, but I can tell by the look in his eyes.

My heart aches for him and it saddens me that he is hiding this from me. At least admit it and say he's an alcoholic. I've been looking into getting him professional help, maybe even talk with his family. I just fear that when I approach this with him, he's going to retaliate. It could be either a good thing and everything will get better. Or, it'll blow up massively in my face. He'd kick me out of here, break up with me. I'm not saying that he would but he could begin to get the violent tendencies, that alcoholics get. Maybe that's why it's taking me so long to do it.

As I was moving the electrical items that we have in the pantry, I froze. I squeezed my eyes shut and prayed that I just didn't find his stash. Shifting the mix master out slightly, I peered behind it and my heart dropped. There hiding behind it are two large bottles of whiskey. It appears that they are also open and have not much left. Taking out my phone, I tool a quick picture so I could monitor how much is missing when I look next.

I really wish I didn't have to do this, but what more can I do? If I remove them, he'll get angry with me. At least this way, I know how much he's having. Taking a deep breath, I returned everything to exact same spots I found them. I see why he chose the mix master, he knows that I never use it.

Looking around the kitchen, I was happy with how it came out. It was almost sparkling. Not that it's not clean all the time, but nothing beats that extra bit of elbow grease. I then moved onto the living room, vacuuming and dusting. By the time I was finished, it was almost 6pm. I'm not sure what time Nick will be home, it can't be too much longer now.

Finally taking a rest on the couch, I put my feet up on the ottoman and reached for the remote. Just as I was about to turn the television on, there was a knock at the door. I sighed, and pushed myself up and made my way to the front door. I wonder what sibling or parent of Nicky it is this time.

"Oh my baby boy!" my eyes popped out of my head as the door opened and revealed one very excited mother. I had to blink to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

"I've missed you so much!" her arms suddenly wrapped around me tightly and I am still standing here still, like a stunned mullet. My mother is here? I snapped out it of when I felt her lips smothering my face with kisses.

"Mum? What are you doing here?" I asked as I pulled back so I could get a good look at her. She looks the same, smells the same, sounds the same. Definitely my mother. I just had to make sure.

"I came to see my baby boy and to meet his boyfriend. And I miss you." she said with a huge grin. Her blonde hair was tied up in a messy bun and her blue eyes sparkled in the light.

"I've missed you too." I smiled and pulled her back in for another hug and kissed her on the cheek. She's really here.

"Come on in. I haven't ordered dinner yet as I was waiting for Nick to get home." I stepped aside to allow her to enter the house. Now that I'm thinking about food, my stomach began to growl a little.

"Have you eaten?" I asked, now leading her into the living room. It was then I noticed her small suitcase that she was wheeling behind her. I wish she would've told me she was coming, I haven't even made up the bed in the guest room.