Not A Happy Birthday

Matthew’s POV

10th January 2042

Another year, another birthday. 

My family would be the happiest that I made it to my 62nd birthday without any new health issues. Especially with my dodgy heart. It’s been 8 months since my bypass and I know that everyone, more so my wife, has been watching me like a hawk. 

Summer has been constantly watching my diet, making sure I follow the doctor’s instructions. Sometimes it feels like I’m being micromanaged. I know she’s only doing it because she’s scared something is going to happen and she’ll lose me, so I put up with it.  It just gets a little overbearing at times and I do sneak in the odd sneaky treat when she’s not looking. 

And now here I lay in our bed, naked like the day I was born, while I wait for my wife to come home. I can’t wait for the day she decides she doesn’t want to work anymore. We can afford her to leave today but I know she’s still invested heavily and loving her job. My wife is still supposed to be on her long service, but she couldn’t help herself and return back to work. 

Glancing at the clock, I grinned and decided it was time to annoy my baby girl. I know how much she loves it when I disturb her this early in the morning on our birthdays. She knows that I do it on purpose, so I don’t know why she answers it. Secretly I think she loves it. 

“Morning Daddy,” she chirps happily, which makes me instantly cheer with glee that I’ve called at the right time. 

“Morning Princess, happy birthday.” Loving that my only daughter and I share the same birthday. With my youngest son as well, I can't forget Nick. 

“Thanks, and I guess I better wish my old man on too, “ she giggled, I could hear Declan make a displeased noise in the background. “I’m like a fine wine, I only get better with age.” I joked and grinned wider as I could hear Declan groan more. 

“Can Dec stay home from work today?” I snorted loudly, knowing exactly why she wanted her husband to stay home. 

“Isabella, as you know, Brax is his boss but if it’s for the reason why you want him home, then no.” I can just picture her annoyed expression. The groan from her husband and the sound of skin slapping made me happier for the annoying 6 am phone call. 

“I haven’t forgotten, dad,” her groan of displeasure is loud. “Now, if you don’t mind, I”m going to finish having sex with your son-in-law. Bye Dad.” and just like that, she hangs up. I laugh for a good minute then settle into the bed and try to get some more sleep. 

I was woken over an hour later by the smell of Summer’s perfume. I crack my eyes open to see her undressing out of her clothes. She has always tried to not wake me when she gets home, even if it’s just the slightest noise or just simply her scent. I’m instantly awake.  

Moments later, I feel her crawling into bed beside me and spooning me. Her hands and feet are ice cold, I flinch at the sudden temperature change. 

Every time. 

“Happy birthday, honey.” Her voice is soft and sweet. Hearing her whisper those words to me every year makes my year so much better. Knowing that this beautiful woman is mine to keep forever. 

I let her snuggle in closer and place my hands over hers. “Thanks, sweetheart.” Moments later I can hear her soft snore. She must have had a busy night, usually taking her an hour or two to unwind. With her securely wrapped around me, I drift back to sleep with her. 

What feels like hours, is probably only 1 or 2, when we are both woken by the blasting ringtone that I have set to Nick. Reaching out, I grab the phone but before I get to say hello, Izzy’s panicked and worried voice has me on high alert.