A Year Full Of Surprises - Chapter Eleven.

Chapter Eleven…

When Monday morning came, I was white as a sheet and I was practically shaking with anxiety. I didn’t even want to know what was going to happen when we got to school. I had spent the whole weekend by myself and I hadn’t told anybody about what had happened on Friday. Mel had no idea and neither did my mother. I just hoped that despite Zack’s text, the school also had no idea. 

I tried to make myself stop looking so nervous even if I couldn’t stop feeling it. When Mel came to pick me up, she said that I still looked ill, but didn’t say anything else apart from that. 

When we sat in first lesson, I spent it tapping my pen nervously. Melissa kept giving me worried glances, but still didn’t say anything. When it got to third lesson and I was just as anxious but nothing had actually happened yet, Mel spoke up. “What is wrong with you? You look like your waiting for a bomb to blow us all up or something! What’s bothering you?” She demanded, looking annoyed. 

I opened my mouth to tell her it was nothing when the classroom door opened and Mrs. Hippo’s secretary came in. “Can I take Jessica McCarthy to see the headmistress, please?” She asked, looking around the class until her eyes landed on me.

Any colour I had managed to gain was promptly drained from my face and I stood up shakily, but trying not too show it so obviously, gathering my things and shoving them into my rucksack. I was beyond nervous. I didn’t know what Zack was going to have said, but I knew it wasn’t going to be good. 

Melissa looked at me with wide eyes. “What have you done?” She hissed. 

I ignored her and followed the secretary out of the room and towards the office. When we got there, I was guided to a seat in between Zack and Mr. Armstrong. I tried to sit as far away from Zack as possible and didn’t even look at him. 

“I’m guessing you know why your here.” Mrs. Danks said frostily. 

I shook my head. “I don’t know exactly.” I said, looking between the three people in the room. I wasn’t lying. I wasn’t sure what had been said. “What’s happened?” 

“Zack came to me this morning and said that you and him had been talking in the corridor yesterday when Mr. Armstrong had attacked him.” She recalled what Zack had apparently told her. I opened my mouth to protest, but she kept speaking. “Attacking a student is a very serious crime and I have put Mr. Armstrong on suspension, affective immediately.” 

I looked at Mr. Armstrong, not really knowing what I was expecting to see. He was sat with a completely blank expression on his face. I turned back to Mrs. Hippo. “We just need your confirmation that Zack is telling the truth and you can be on your way Miss McCarthy. Mr. Armstrong claims that you were in danger from Zack, but there is no proof of this and I do believe he’s lying.” She informed me. 

“He’s not lying.” I back him up instantly. “Zack was threatening me.” 

Zack shook his head. “No I wasn’t.” He said, innocently. “I would never hurt a girl, it’s wrong.”