A Year Full Of Surprises - Chapter Twenty.

Chapter Twenty…

Mel successfully avoided me for the rest of the day. We only had maths together, but she sat away from me in that as well. Grace looked guilty for the rest of the day, thinking it was her fault we weren’t speaking. 

By the end of last lesson, I was fed up. I hadn’t really done anything. Sure, I hadn’t told Mel about Matt, but, to be fair, she hadn’t been at school for me to tell. I knew she still had her suspicions about me and Mr. Armstrong, but they were false anyway. I did feel bad that I hadn’t told her about the Zack thing, but I hadn’t told anyone, not even my parents. 

I soon found myself knocking on Jord’s classroom door sheepishly. He raised an eyebrow after gesturing for me to come in. “Where’s Mel?” He asked, already knowing I was after a lift home. 

I shrugged. “I have no idea.” I said truthfully. “Probably already half way home. She’s been avoiding me all day and I didn’t have last lesson with her.” I explained. 

“Why is she avoiding you?” Mr. Armstrong queried. 

I shrugged again. “I have no idea. She thinks I’m hiding stuff from her, but she hasn’t said that, she waited until Grace was sat in her seat to go off in a huff.” I explained bitterly. I was upset and annoyed that Mel was being like that. She was supposed to be my best friend, she was supposed to trust me. Sure, I sounded like the biggest hypocrite ever, but that was how she was meant to act, not doubting a word I said, and definitely not getting mardy about someone sitting in her seat whilst I she had been off sick for the whole week. 

Jord looked at me, trying to gage my emotions. “Are you okay Jess?” He asked in all seriousness. I nodded, trying to smile unsuccessfully. “Really?” He urged, wanting me to elaborate on my clearly not-okay-ness. 

I shrugged. “I guess it’s all just getting to me. I’m constantly stressing out over keeping things from everyone and what will happen when all of this is finished, because people are going to end up finding out eventually. I’m worried about my parents, in case the police find out and I’m annoyed at my parents because they couldn’t care less about me. I’m hurt by Mel because she’s picking Leonie over me when I haven’t even done anything wrong and I’m sad that I can’t trust her enough to tell her.” I blurted, feeling my cheeks heat up slightly at the end. I wasn’t used to sharing my feelings with people, especially not that many feelings. 

Mr. Armstrong looked equally surprised, even though we had had many conversations, I had never blurted out anything like that before. His look soon turned from shock to sympathy and compassion. “Jess…” He began, not knowing what to say. “I don’t want you to go through anything like that, especially not because of me.” He said at last. 

I instantly shook my head. “It’s not your fault. I’m still choosing to do this and I won’t drop it, no matter how many times you tell me too.” I assured him. 

“I still feel guilty.” He muttered, but didn’t try and convince me to drop the case again. “I’m sure it will be fine in the end.” He tried unconvincingly to reassure me. 

I chuckled. “You don’t mean that. You know this isn’t going to end well.”