A Year Full Of Surprises - Chapter Twenty-One.

Chapter Twenty-One...

I spun around and found myself looking into Mel's angry and betrayed eyes. I instantly took a step away from Mr. Armstrong, as if that would stop Mel from being suspicious. "Harry is picking you up, right, okay then." She said sarcastically, looking between Jord and me with raised eyebrows.

"I..." I stammered, not knowing what to say in the face of her glare.

She held up a hand. "Don't even bother trying to explain Jessica. No doubt whatever to say will be a lie anyway." She hissed, bitterly and coldly.

"I..." I tried again, attempting to think of anything that could explain this situation without giving anything away.

Mel interrupted again though, "So, what's your excuse this time, surely you can't be going to use the 'I needed a lift home' line again, I think you've worn it out by now." I decided to keep my mouth shut, despite the strong urge to inform her that Jord was here to give me a lift home. "And how long has this really been going on for? There's clearly more to you two than student teacher, I think you need to start explaining." She stated, standing opposite us with her arms crossed across her chest. She looked like a teacher that was annoyed at her class - kind of ironic really.

"Look." I said, trying to sound calm. "You can think what you want about me lying to you, because it's true, I have been lying." I said honestly. "But there is nothing going on between me and Mr. Armstrong."

Her face was a map of scepticism; she clearly didn't believe me. "And what makes you think that I will believe you, after-" Then she paused and realisation seemed to cross her face. "What do you mean you've been lying to me? The only thing I've accused you of lying about is you and Mr. Armstrong. What are you keeping from me Jessica?" She shouted, her voice getting higher and higher towards the end of her sentence.

I seemed to snap out of the panicked haze I had been in after seeing Mel, and gone into another one when I realised why Jord had been picking me up in the first place. "I'm sorry Mel." I rushed out, realising how much time we had already wasted. "I have to go, like right now."

She stared at me, incredulously. "Are you serious? You drop something on me like the fact you've been lying to me about god-knows-what for god-knows-how-long and then you decided to just disappear! You're unbelievable." She shrieked.

I turned to Jord, trying my best to ignore Mel's complaining and scowling, all being thrown at me. "We have to go. I need to go home. I need to see what's happening." I exclaimed, tempted to simply pull him towards the car and force him to drive.

"I know." He muttered, before turning to Mel and attempting to talk to her. "Mel, I know this must be really confusing for you, but please let Jess explain later, there's something important that we need to do right now." He explained calmly.

Mel was far from calm though, I could tell she was practically bubbling with rage. "And why should I listen to you, you've been spouting out as many lies as her." Mel pointed at me.

"Can we just go Jord, please?" I was nearly begging by now. I was in a state and I just needed to go home and sort out everything there before I even tried to explain the situation to Mel. I didn't want to have to do either, but I was prioritising my parents above Mel for the meantime.

He nodded. "Yeah, let's go, come on." He said, walking towards the car.

Mel was still rambling. "Jord. Jord. Of course you're on a first-name basis. I thought it was just that first day in class because he called you Jess-" She continued on and on. "Where are you going? You can't just expect me to stand here and try to figure out what the hell you're talking about Jessica!" She cried.