A Year Full Of Surprises - Chapter Eight.

Chapter Eight…

When my alarm went off the next morning I felt like crying some more. I could deal with holing up in my room and pretending like nothing had happened, but I knew that was going to be impossible at school. 

Maybe I could just get there late and then hide at lunchtime? Or maybe I could just not go in the first place? It would be the first time I had ever skipped school, but would it really matter, this one time? It wasn’t as if people didn’t do it all the time. I could say I was ill. I was pretty sure I could tell my mother any lie that wasn’t completely unrealistic and she would believe it. 

I sighed. I wasn’t going to get out of this, so I might as well face it now and get it over and done with. I had a feeling my Ipod was going to be getting a lot of use today. 

Climbing out of bed and trudging downstairs, I wondered what was going to happen at lunchtime. When I had told Mel about Leonie being the one Zack was cheating on me with, she hadn’t come up with lots of hate towards her, she had just kind of skimmed past it. Like she was trying to imagine I hadn’t said it. I knew Leonie was one of Mel’s closer friends apart from me, but did that mean she would choose to sit with her at lunchtime? Because sure as hell wasn’t going anywhere near her. 

While I was eating my toast, Mel pulled up and we set off. She didn’t bring up Zack, but did ask me if I was feeling any better today. I just shrugged it off, saying I was fine. It wasn’t a very convincing response, but she seemed to believe me anyway. 

People were no where to be found when we pulled up into the car park and I wondered where everybody was. Zack wasn’t parked in his usual space next to us, something I was glad of. 

While we were standing next to Mel’s car, I noticed the back end of a lot of people, looking like they were crowding round something, or rather somebody, or even better somebodies. Zack and Leonie were stood holding hands and looking every bit like a couple. I guess it really didn’t take him long to move on. No wonder he hadn’t even bothered to call me. 

I ignored them completely and headed to my first class, which I realised I had with Leonie. Oh joy. 

I had been reasonably happy that I had a class with Leonie when school had first started. Sure, I had never really liked her, but it was better to have somebody to talk to than nobody. Now I wasn’t so sure. I would definitely rather have nobody than her. 

She had the nerve to sit in her normal spot next to me and send me a smug smirk. “Hey babe.” She mimicked in that snide voice. 

“Hey replacement.” I said, faking a smile back at her. She glared at me and I rolled my eyes. 

“So, did you get my voice mail?” She asked spitefully. 

I nodded. “Of course I did, and I’d just like to inform you on how right you are.” I said, faking sadness. She smirked, thinking she had got me. “You and Zack are perfect together. You’ll take anything that has a dick, and he’ll take anything he can shove his into. You’re simply the perfect couple.” I retorted grinning widely at her extremely pissed off face.