A Year Full Of Surprises - Chapter Five.

Chapter Five…

My mum and Harry were gone again by the time I went downstairs to find something to eat. They hadn’t even bothered coming upstairs to talk to me. That just proved how much they cared. Sighing I plonked myself down on the sofa, flicking through endless channels but not really settling on anything. 

I couldn’t believe they were that naïve. Did they really believe that they were good parents? They were probably just on a downer from the night before and needed me to take it out on. I hadn’t done anything wrong! 

What’s more unbelievable is that Mr. Armstrong rang my mum. How could he? Couldn’t he have just pressured me a bit more until I had given in? Not that that was likely to have happened. And when had he done it? After he had been talking to me at lunch? If it was before then he had some nerve not telling me. 

I carried on glowering at the TV, not even noticing what was on. When the doorbell rang I nearly jumped out of my skin. When I went to the door, it was Zack. He pulled me towards him and gave me a quick kiss on the lips, before walking past me and into the house. 

“So, how was your day?” He asked. He hadn’t really seen me around school much. 

I forced myself not to snort and say how shitty it had been. “Yeah, it was good. And yours?” 

An emotion quickly passed across his face, but he quickly smiled at me, before I had time to guess it. “It was good. But its better now that I’m here.” 

He laughed at me suddenly then, pointing at the TV. “Are you seriously watching a nature program?” He joked. “And I thought your nerd days were over.” 

I had to cover up how much that had actually hurt. Even my boyfriend hated me when I was a nerd. I chuckled instead, but it was awkward. “I didn’t even notice what was on. It was just the channel Harry had been watching.” I told him. 

He laughed some more, before walking into my kitchen. I had only ever been to his house a couple of times, but he had been to mine ten billion times. He treated it like his own, knowing I didn’t mind. He came back with a glass of water and sat on the sofa next to me. 

Slinging his arm lazily around my shoulder, he pulled me into his side and we curled up together. I gave him the controller so that I didn’t have to try and decide what to watch. 

I soon fell asleep. I was knackered after the day I had had and a nice bit of sleep sounded like a great plan to me. 

When I woke up, it was dark outside and I was in my bedroom. Zack must have carried me up here and then left. I checked to see what time it was. 3AM. Oh dear lord. This is why I never went to bed early, because I woke up too early and then couldn’t get back to sleep. 

I tiptoed downstairs quietly, in case my parents were in bed, and went to get a drink of water from the kitchen. Just as I was about to go back upstairs, I heard the front door open and then shut quietly. Before I could begin to panic, my mum’s voice carried through to me.