Chapter 24

I anxiously lead the way, holding onto Soviet's hand for comfort.
I'm about to go somewhere I haven't been in a long time and I'm not looking forward to it.

"So you lived on the borders of town, slightly up hill." Soviet says as we walked.

"Yep..." I respond.

"Not bad place for house." Soviet says.

It's just small talk like that until we near the house and it begins to come into view.

My pace visibly slows down as I see the roof of it.

The house was considerably huge. A wealthy persons house. But it looks quite like it could be haunted from the lifeless state I left it in.

2 floors high, with a long width that led to empty hallways with rooms dotted about. Many rooms.

A garden that used to be floral and vibrant in colour and nature, now overgrown with dying plants meaning not many animals would be left. Apart from the crows. The crows were probably my second animal friend. Though, they would get annoying from time to time.

I had pets but I gave them to someone else, as I didn't have the energy to take care of them, and that fact just made me more sad, but it made me happier to know someone would look after them when I did give them away.

"Big house." Soviet says impressed, as he inspects it.

"Yes a big house." I say with a small smile at Soviets random words. "...That's not my car." I add on as I spot the cars in the driveway.

There are two. One is mine—it definitely needs a car wash, though that is not too visible with its dark colour—and there is another that seems familiar but there seems to be a cloud of fog that blocks me from fully remembering.

"What you mean?" Soviet asks.

"I mean: that's not my car." I say in response.

"Ah, right..." Soviet mutters. "Well, who's is it?"

"I don't know... but it seems familiar." I say.

"Let's find out." Soviet says and begins walking to the house.

I'm hesitant in walking with him but I soon run and catch up to him, quickly grabbing his hand as I change my pace to match his.

With every step towards the house my heart beats faster. I feel lightheaded, actually. Like, I could pass out if I wasn't forcing myself not to.
Is this a normal thing when you get really nervous or am I just not healthy?

We reach the cars. Even though I have such a big house, it didn't have a garage, but I think that's due to the previous owner changing it into a different room. Like a game room, or something fancy and rich like that.

(UK do kinda be flexing though—)

I look into the unclaimed cars window as we walk by it.
(I don't do car brands—)
It's a decent, red car that isn't too expensive not too cheap, I would assume. The car seems to be kept clean. There's nothing left in it apart from some leaflets or something, left in the car door. Some tissues as well, but otherwise, nothing else unusual or of importance.

"Nice colour choice." Soviet says as he looks at the car with me.

"Red is your favourite colour?" I ask Soviet.

"Yes, if weren't too obvious." Soviet says.

"I'll remember that." I say to Soviet.

"What? Are you getting me present or something?" Soviet asks.

"You've already gotten me so much so, yeah, giving something back is what I want to do." I say to him.

He smiles sweetly.

"You don't need do that, though is very kind." He says.

"I feel obliged to. You're not stopping me." I say to him.

"Alright, I won't argue with that." Soviet says.

I smile at him before turning to the front door of my house in which an uncertain frown falls upon my face.

"We should go in the house now." I say.

"Want to hold my hand?" Soviet asks.

"Yes." I say almost immediately and grab his hand.

"Uh, I don't remember if I have keys, so we better hope the door is open." I say as we walk to the door.

I can't bring myself to reach out for the handle so it ends up being Soviet who grabs the door handle.

He pulls it down and the door opens.

Did I leave the door unlocked?
I probably did.
I mean, what's the point of locking your house door when you're running away and barely even care for it anyway?

"Seems you left open." Soviet says as he steps in the house, me following after.

As soon as we step in, I instantly freeze.

It's not just the bad feeling I get from the building every time I'm in it, it's something else I notice too.

"You okay?" Soviet asks me yet again.

"Someone's in the house..." I say quietly.

"Is that bad?" Soviet asks me.

"Depends on who is in the house." I answer.

I quickly walk through the halls, leading the way.
It takes all my confidence to do so and I'm pretty sure Soviets hand will be suffering from how hard I'm nervously squeezing it.

I'm following a light trail. Someone's in the house, right now. The heating has been turned on and, of course, lights are switched on. And I'm following these lights.

It leads to one of the larger rooms in the house. A living room.

As we reach the room, I slow my pace. I carefully walk up to the doorway, which the door of the room has been left open.

I just step into the room before once again freezing.

A country stands in the room and they turn towards me and Soviet as they heard as walking into the room.

We stare at each other. Not quite being able to pull words into a sentence.

All I'm able to do is mutter the word,

"Canada..."

————————————————————

I am back from camping—

And yep, going with the cliché Countryhumans fandom family because my brain is e m p t y.

Hope this was interesting.
That is what I'm going for here—

Any who-
Stay safe and...

Have A Nice Life!

Word Count: 1036